1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing progress in GCSE

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by SBW2009, Mar 2, 2015.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi all Can anyone suggest how we can show long term progress in GCSE? Currently (school policy) we do a past paper at the end of each topic- Geography (we are doing edexcel A) and record that on their progress sheet. Some kids, for example "X" is struggling and achieves G's in each past paper, other for example "Y" achieves C's on each one. I was observed by HOF who said that their tracking sheets doesn't show any progress as each past paper scores a similar result. I'm hoping to go back with suggestions of what we can do to move it forward, especially with lower sets. Any suggestions on how to show long term progress with groups especially those weak ones who take a long time to move up grades. Many thanks

2. If they aren't making progress then that is how it is. We need to be careful not to manipulate assessments to create a narrative of continual improvement. The progress if any may not be apparent until the end of year 10 or even year 11. I think it would be best to focus on reasons for the disappointing grades and find strategies to deal with them.

3. boatie

boatie New commenter

Surely SBW2009 has almost answered his/her own question? If a pupil keeps getting the same grade but on different topics then surely they have been learning more geography? I feel this problem keenly in my subject, MFL, where progress is linear and not topic-by-topic but the assessments just aren't out there or devised to show how people are progressing to a final GCSE standard.

4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Have you considered setting a paper/shorter test at the START of the topic as a baseline? Or a self-assessment sheet, with an outline of objectives which they can fill in at the start and end, or date as they master it? That way, all students should be able to demonstrate progress within that unit.

5. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

I cannot wait until this obsession with having to prove, and record, continuous and endless progress comes to an end. Especially in subjects where this simply isn't something that happens. The system assumes that students are robots and follow an ever upward line of progress to infinity, with no social or personal reasons ever having any effect or simply that someone might have different levels of ability in some areas as compared to others. The thing that used to get me in my UK school was the need to have written evidence of all speaking tasks (MFL) which to me seems counterintuitive.

In terms of the OP's predicament I agree with rustyfeathers. At least a start of unit test compared to an end of unit test will show progress, albeit very spuriously but it should be enough to satisfy the powers that be,

6. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you all

SLT are anti baselines in GCSE as it upsets pupils! Going to do a skills tracker I think and keep it separate to the mock paper tests. It's so ironic as the head said we have to do anything and everything to get the kids a grade- it seems that the kids no longer have a responsibility to get their own grades :(