1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing progress in books

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:44 PM.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Hi, I am doing a maternity cover and wanted to know the easiest and best method to show progress in books??

What method do you use ? I want my marking to be effective. I currently just do WWW EBI

The school has a new head and there is no specific way to show progress in books. I am there until next year so need to make sure my books look good to SLT.

I have bought some stamps for WWW and EBI to save time, but I know this isn't enough.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

WWW and EBI is good.... if the students then do something with it (e.g. improve their work based on the EBI you've given them). Otherwise you are just wasting your time doing it.

Better still (in my view), is to train you kids to peer assess each other (I find giving them a list of potential comments to choose from and modelling the process works reasonably well). THEN students improve their work based on the peer assessment. Saves you time, and means the students get the feedback more quickly and more often.

Obivously, sometimes I do mark the students' work myself. In the inside cover of my students' books they have a progress tracker. On it they record their marks and target from every assessment - this then tracks their progress over time, both in terms of summative and formulative assessment. (see attachment for a KS3 example) I also make students refer to it, before they do a similar assessment (e.g" right, before we plan this, what was your target from the last piece of transactional writing you did? How will you meet that target?"), so for me this isn't just a box-ticking exercise, but a way of getting the students to take ownership of their learning.

I also have my own tracker on excel which shows their progress in relation to their target grade, which I can easily produce if asked for. Again, the colour coding on it helps me to differentiate my lessons when deciding on group compositions, task-setting, etc.

Attached Files:

3. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

A good SLT/observer looking at your books will focus on the students' work rather than your marking. Progress will be evident if, as they look through the books, work has visibly improved and that can look a number of ways: evidence of students self-correcting, written work is better as the book goes on, presentation becomes neater, stronger vocabulary in their work, more correct answers. Progress takes many forms and a lot of it can happen from your good teaching, verbal feedback and formative assessment in class - don't obsess too much over "evidencing" it.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

...and there lies the rub. I agree entirely with pianopete that the above is all fantastic evidence of pupil progress and should be all that is required.. Unfortunately, you can't control the quality of your observers! So (if scoring highly on lesson observations/book scrutinies is something that is important to you) make it as easy as possible for the observer to see the progress. My last head was a Maths teacher who'd had to go back to nightschool in his twenties to get his pass in GCSE English and seemed almost perversely proud of the fact that he didn't have a clue whether the work in the students' books was good or not, so progress had to be made really obvious. [On the flip side, he always told me he enjoyed coming into my lessons, as he always felt he learnt something new.]