1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing progress and other matters

Discussion in 'Science' started by Drquantum, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Drquantum

Drquantum New commenter

In the new OFSTED criteria fro lesson observations we are supposed to show that students have progressed through the lesson. I can think of quite a few ways of doing this however they are for the most part based on the fact you show that the kids know nothing or very little at the start of the lesson. Two problems with this as I see,:
    1. You are at the start of a topic with a newish class and they seem to know most of what you are about to teach so blow your lesson plan out the water.
    2. One or two of the brighter ones cotton on easily so the bit of extension work you planned isnt going to fill the lesson. You want,/ need to cater for all your studetns but you could end up teaching three different lessons to the same class at once in order for them to show progress.
    Suggestions on how to combat this because it seems you need to show that the kids know nothing at the star of the lesson, which if you are mid or at the end of a topic is clearly not the case.

2. I teach in Wales (primary) and it is a skills based curriculum now, with very little prescribed in the way of the range of knowledge needed to be covered.
    This allows me to start all of my topics with a way of finding out what they know (KWL grid, snowball session, concept map etc) then raising a few things they want to find out. I then pick questions they want to find out to plan my activities around. That way I can always start with the fact (often on display) that this is something they want to find out and then go from there.