1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing passwords

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Hello.
    When I sign in to my Doctor's surgery to book an appointment, my password has been saved, and all is fine.
    However, the password stored has 8 characters, and it should be 7, so I know it's not what I think it is.
    Is there a way to make it display the saved password instead of 8 circles?

Thanks.

2. lilachardy

Hello.
    When I sign in to my Doctor's surgery to book an appointment, my password has been saved, and all is fine.
    However, the password stored has 8 characters, and it should be 7, so I know it's not what I think it is.
    Is there a way to make it display the saved password instead of 8 circles?

Thanks.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

In short - no. You will have to get them to re-send it to you (or take a couple of guesses at it. It could be that you had to have a number in the password - I know when this happens I use my 'normal' one and stick a number on the end - could you have done this?)

4. Some online programes add a blank character at the begining of the password if you try and cut and paste.

5. lilachardy

Bums, but thanks.
    The password I think it is has a capital, a lower case, a numeral and a punctuation mark, so I don't think that was the problem.

ARGH!

6. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Or maybe you jut mis-counted the little circles?

7. lilachardy

You mean I could copy it and paste it somewhere else to see it?

8. lilachardy

No - I tried to log in from work, and I know the expected password doesn't work.

I can't think what I might have done to get an extra character!

9. you can try but i doubt it. Do you not have an option to "show characters"

10. lilachardy

'Fraid not.

11. do you have the edit option to change your password....and if so, does it accept your original password ?

12. lilachardy

Nope!

13. Do you use firefox? If so go to tools, options, security then saved passwords. Not all of them are in there but you might be lucky.

14. No matter how long your password is, some systems make all saved passwords appear to have the same amount of characters. I'm guessing it's so it's harder for someone to guess the password.

Try typing in what you think it is, and see what happens. :)