1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing my age?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sally006, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

i spent the early part of my career fine tuning the role of subject leader. Various roles, Science, History (my degree subject), Geography (in small primaries you usually do both humanities) and eventually Maths which I’ve held for some years. In the glory days we went on wonderful courses led by the LA and proper Primary subject advisors. Some had 29 days worth of training in my LA. But in the last decade no such training has been around and foundation subjects played second fiddle to Core - after all they were the ones kids did SATs in and provided Ofsted with the data they craved. What happened?

2. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Money!
    I’m now reminiscing at being able to claiming mileage back from attending those kind of courses!
    But more-so, the elegant and plentiful hot buffets!
    One year my head asked what foundation subject I’d like to develop- art, please!
    It was the best course! Loads of resources and practical ideas to take back into school that could really be used! Then I realised that my training was adequate and I did know what I was doing!

The NQT last year hadn’t had any instruction or in-depth look at any foundation subjects :(

ViolaClef and Morgelyn like this.
  3. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

That just about sums it up doesn’t it? Courses with wonderful support like policies to help you identify progression of key subject specific skills and resources to use! For once I’m glad I’m Maths - I’ve always had to have all of this. I’ve always done scrutinies and observations. I pity the younger staff doing this for the first time every with no real clue what they should be looking for. Only advice from HT was to join a subject forum and have a smiley face when you go into to observe a colleague. You really don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

DexterDexter likes this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Get yourself into an academy chain and you'd be amazed at the difference.

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Depends on which academy chain!!!

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It’s terribly sad what is happening in education at present. You could end up thinking that education equals Maths, English and lots of tests and assessments. Some Science too, if you’re lucky.

Many children are going through primary school without encountering any systematic teaching of subjects such as Art, Music, Drama, D.T. and the Humanities.

If Maths and English are not your ‘thing’, what is there for you at school these days? It is soul-destroying to see the broad range of subjects (which our children should be engaging in every week) dismissed as having no value or importance.

Maths and English are important; but they are not the only subjects on the planet. We need to rediscover the rich and varied curriculum to which every child should be exposed throughout every week of their education.

7. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

What difference do you mean would be noticed in academies ?