1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

showing learner progress - new ofsted framework

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by mickey1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KS3 PE -
    After an inset on the new inspection, we were told that to gain good pupils had to show progress of one level ie, lv5 pupils should be showing lv6 work and outstanding 2 levels progress. Therefore they should be challenged to achieve above their current level. if any pupils off task for any period of time then only good or satisfactory can be achieved
    Does anyone have any suggestions for athletics lessons, fitness lessons that will enable a good judgement. Some of my classes are mixed sex and all are mixed ability. Just wondering how pupil who struggles with PE (e,g can't hit shuttle in badminton) can attempt task for level 5 pupil?
    How do I show progress in just 20 mins observation. I am in my second yr of teaching and on previous performance management observations I achieved good but that focused on teaching as opposed to learner progress.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. KS3 PE -
    After an inset on the new inspection, we were told that to gain good pupils had to show progress of one level ie, lv5 pupils should be showing lv6 work and outstanding 2 levels progress. Therefore they should be challenged to achieve above their current level. if any pupils off task for any period of time then only good or satisfactory can be achieved
    Does anyone have any suggestions for athletics lessons, fitness lessons that will enable a good judgement. Some of my classes are mixed sex and all are mixed ability. Just wondering how pupil who struggles with PE (e,g can't hit shuttle in badminton) can attempt task for level 5 pupil?
    How do I show progress in just 20 mins observation. I am in my second yr of teaching and on previous performance management observations I achieved good but that focused on teaching as opposed to learner progress.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

3. Mr_Wolf

Mr_Wolf New commenter

The first step is to refer back to the national curriculum and break down the level descriptors into the key processes (word of warning - I can't place any of it under developing physical and mental capacity). Once you've done this then you will know what a level 4 in each process is compared to a level 5 and so on. By assessing at the beginning of the 20 minutes and giving targets to achieve the next level you should be able to visibly show the progress.

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Levels are pointless, you can't show progress in 20 mins!

All I can suggest is a task card pitched a the general level, with one and two levels progress on it. E.g. Today we are doing this, if you can do that then attempt this,if you can even do that then attempt a challenge a the end.

Would make a rubbish lesson, kids faffing with task cards, giving peer feedback before their time, but would satisfy these Inspectors who seem to have no clue what so ever.

5. Thanks - that's what our department's thoughts were!

6. I'd just not worry about it. Just gone through my second OFSTED and, again, didn't come near any pratical PE. Either the Head told them we're awesome or the don't give a damn. I know which I think.
    On a serious note, just plan a good lesson and follow your departments procedures. Anything else is the Head of Departments job!