1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showing a video on a webpage.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Penny10p, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

My students are doing web design using HTML. Some are getting very into it and would like to insert a video that they take themselves. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this?

SmokinDonutLtd likes this.
  2. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Just use the HTML5 video tag which is supported by most browsers
    Details here
    N.B. the video will need to be in MP4,, Web M or Ogg format - use a converter if it isn't

4. Penny10p

Thank you both - that worked really well.

5. Penny10p

Another question about websites. I am ready to mark my students websites and some have done a pretty good job. They have fulfilled the specs regarding number of pages, images etc but they look rather amateurish. While I don't expect them to be able to create professional websites (I couldn't myself!) I would like to show an example of the sort of thing they should be able to do at Grade 10. As a shortcut to making one myself, I wonder if anyone has a link to an informative website that looks good but is not too complex?
    BTW I teach overseas. Is webdesign and HTML still taught in the UK?

6. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Yes, it can be difficult to move on to making the sites look more professional. I used to start off with the basics - consistency being the key
    • Consistent layout/theme across the pages - 1 design for each section
    • Use a limited range of fonts 1 if possible 2 max.
    • Use a limited colour palette - there are loads of "color scheme" sites out there
    • Make sure image sizes are consistent aligned correctly ;and have appropriate resolution
    • spelling and grammar
    You've probably used CSS for the styling so this should be fairly easy to implement .
    Next look at sites you like; at some of the CSS template sites. It is amazing what the application of some of these collected styles to simple HTML can achieve.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Google's "Material Design" web-page has some good advice on design, and palettes that you can use for backgrounds, highlighting, etc. I used that when giving our web-site a makeover (not my own web-site - I just like aubergines!).

Some schools still give the rather bizarre advice to fix the size of everything using a number of pixels, which the students repeat whilst holding their smartphones. Even if you don't go for media queries, etc., just using the new vw and vh units for sizes causes easily scale the whole page.