1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Showering after PE lessons

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by renosparks74, Jul 18, 2018.

1. renosparks74

renosparks74 New commenter

Hi! Do schools still expect pupils to shower after PE lessons in high school? Is it optional? No longer appropriate?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I used to teach (and was taught) in the old days.

All children had to shower after every lesson. There were checks on who had forgotten towels, with a 'kit' mark and sanctions if you forgot, Teachers would check you had been for a shower. This ranged from checking the dampness of towels, whether children had water on them if their hair was wet. Teachers would also look down the 'tunnel' of the communal shower to check that nobody dodged the water.

I'm not saying that all of the above was a good thing, but the PC situation now I assume has resulted in lots of sweaty, stinky children who pick up the belief that it isn't essential to wash after exercise.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I could see the point of showers when people were dirtier and didn't bath very often at home, but now that virtually everyone can shower or bath every day then it seems like a complete waste of time and effort to make them shower after PE unless they want to. A lot of PE isn't even very strenuous, and if they're a bit dirty for the rest of the day well so what?

Kartoshka likes this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think you are partly right, but if a child has PE at 9.00 am and then sits in sweat until 4.00pm when they get home - isn't too hygienic or healthy.

5. coxy15

coxy15 New commenter

Child protection trumps hygiene issues. Yes they stink and it can't be great for them, but if they get proper care at home they'll be encouraged to shower before bed. Far better to have poor hygiene for a few hours than poor child protection.

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I hated school showers - everyone was thinner than me and the PE teacher used to watch us which made me very uncomfortable.

They are old fashioned and should go in that form.

Perhaps shower cubicles for those who want a shower?

Kartoshka likes this.
  7. rawblonde

rawblonde New commenter

I thought PE and showering was an issue in the 70s and earlier. I understand cleanliness issues etc but children can just as sweaty through break/lunchtime activities and/or poor cleanliness at home. if you are fortunate to have a 1 hour lesson (many schools aren't), you have to write off 15/20mins to get changed twice, leaving 40-45mins. More of that would be taken up again by showering. Not worth it in my opinion

8. lesleybyrne15

lesleybyrne15 New commenter

In my school (Special needs) we encourage the students to shower KS3, 4 and 5. Quite honestly they say, oh I had one on Sunday (and its Wednesday) I have one on a ....Some of the students do not have the opportunity or encouragement from home on hygiene and we are the ones giving them the support and opportunity, not to mention making it more pleasant for the class staff

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We had problems regarding showering. For a start the girls' changing rooms were designed for a class of girls not the 2 we would get - so they were cramped. The showers were archaic as in shower heads protruding from the wall in a reasonably wide "corridor". We took the view that we gave the girls the hygiene information, encouraged them to bring at least a flannel and towel so they could wash. I did not feel it was my role/whatever to watch the girls going into the shower. Add to that that lesson times were adjusted (not in favour of a practical subject) and showering was really impractical.
    As HT /SMT would not take the step of banning mobile phones in schools I would also consider it a problem with kids using them in the changing rooms.
    We did have an unofficial "brief" in that we would be vigilant re possible non-accidental injury signs on kids, also signs of possible eating disorder so yes it could be said we "watched" kids but in all my years teaching PE I never received an accusation re any possible 'looking at/watching kids changing.

10. kew1977

kew1977 New commenter

It is not compulsory like it used to be in my day (1990's). We have showers available for students to use if they wish but it's entirely optional. Time constraints also get in the way - with only an hours lesson, of which changing time can take at least 10 minutes either end of the lesson, it's not that practical. I'm not sure of the legal stance but I think that showering facilities must be available.