1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Show photo ID to vote

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blue451, Oct 13, 2019.

1. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    knitone likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have a postal vote. Personally I can't wait for the time when we can vote on line.

And I'd make it compulsory.

Ivartheboneless, nomad and Jamvic like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

I totally agree with with both these ideas.

nomad likes this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Not having a passport is gradually becoming a real pain. Getting a passport even more so.

knitone, agathamorse and foxtail3 like this.
  5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I don't want the UK to go down the American path where voter suppression is prevalent. Kris Kobach's "Crosscheck" has taken millions off the voter rolls, the vast majority unjustly.

https://www.gregpalast.com/

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Kobach came to prominence over his hardline anti-illegal immigration views and his involvement in the diffusion of high-profile anti-immigration ordinances in various American towns. Kobach is also known for his calls for stronger voter ID laws in the United States and a Muslim registry. He has made claims about the extent of voter fraud in the United States that studies and fact-checkers have concluded are false or unsubstantiated.

As Secretary of State of Kansas, Kobach implemented some of the strictest voter identification laws in the United States and fought to remove nearly 20,000 registered voters from the state's voter rolls. Following considerable investigation and prosecution, Kobach secured nine convictions for voter fraud; all were cases of double voting, and most involved voters who had misunderstood their voting rights.

Kobach directed the Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program, which compares state records to find people registered to vote in more than one place. The New York Times credits him with rapidly expanding the reach of the program, referred to as the "Kansas Project," which by 2017 included more than 30 states. According to the New York Times, "The program searches for double registrations using only voters' first and last names and date of birth, and it generates thousands of false matches—John Smith in Kansas can easily be confused with John Smith in Iowa." Due to its tendency to produce false matches, the program could be implemented to suppress the vote and wrongly remove legitimate voters from voter rolls.

The program has led to sensational and misleading headlines: for example, 35,750 voters in the 2012 North Carolina general election matched with voters with supposedly identical voters in other states, but upon close investigation only "eight cases of potential double voting were referred to prosecutors and two people were convicted." Doubts over the accuracy of Crosscheck has led some states to withdraw from the program. A 2016 paper by researchers at Stanford, Harvard, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania found that if the program were fully implemented "200 legitimate voters may be impeded from voting for every double vote stopped.[

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Indeed.

Our passports expired five years ago and we haven’t renewed because we haven’t been abroad for eleven years.

What if you have no passport or driving licence?

knitone, agathamorse and hplovegame48 like this.
  8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't have a passport or a photo driving licence ... oh no!

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Having worked in both Kuwait and Indonesia where a Civil ID Card is necessary, I should be happy for a similar system to be applied in the UK.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A large number of alternatives were allowed in the pilot projects: a poll card, an Oyster card, a Blue Badge, a recent utility bill, a national Insurance number card, a recent P45, a council tax demand, and so on (a different combination of alternatives for each pilot project, I believe).

The leaflet for the pilot in Derby stated: "If you haven’t got either one form of photo ID or two forms of non-photo ID, you can apply for a Certificate of Identity."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    nomad, border_walker and oldsomeman like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Not sure about getting a first passport these days but renewal online was pretty easy when we did it a couple of years ago. They will now accept a digital photo you send, so no scrabbling around for an overpriced photo booth. Renewing my driving licence was incredibly easy, the account was linked to the passport and it used the same picture (I think I could have updated it if I wanted) , literally just took a few mins and I had it in about 2 days.

nomad likes this.
  12. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

And I'm sure there'll be no reports after the event of thousands having applied for such certificates and not having received them in time.

13. florian gassmann

The pilot scheme is over: were there any such reports?
    The report on the 2018 and 2019 pilots said that this particular feature came with additional benefits, such as using the certificate to give the homeless access to the local job centre.

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Nor me.
    I have no photo ID at all.

knitone likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just think you have a new one for your picture here lol
    The problem will more likely occur if you have not got a birth certificate and utility bills for the address you live at.
    Now for a bank account, I need a passport or driving license and 3 utility bills. In some cases a recent bank statement, but not from the bank you are opening a new account with!

16. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Aren’t you required to bring ID with you to vote already?

17. florian gassmann

No

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The best form of identification was at my village polling station, in the days when it could be manned by someone from the village.
    “Hello Lizzie” (as I walked through he door ) and name and address crossed off before I reached their table.

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Renewed mine a couple of months ago. Very easy.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I always take the polling card that comes through the door as I feel I should take something. They always tell me they don't need to see it and cross my name and address off,

nizebaby and cissy3 like this.