1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

`Show my homework` software - How much does it cost? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SCAW12, Sep 3, 2016.

1. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Hello Does your school use "Show my homework"? What is your opinion of it? Any ideas of cost please? I know I could contact them but that inevitably leads to pushy sales people. Any feedback welcome! Thanks.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

We've used it for a few years. I like it. It only takes a few minutes to put the homework in, you can add attachments (very useful for those kids who lose everything you give them), create quizzes, and as a HoD I can look at what homework is being set in my department and whether it's of a decent quality.
    I think it's a couple of grand a year but I don't know about set-up costs. Someone comes in to train the staff but it's pretty simple to get the hang of.
    The only issue is if you have some teachers who regularly forget to put homework on - parents learn to rely on SMH (and in my experience they like it as they can see exactly what homework their children should be doing) and it's annoying for them if it looks like Science never set homework just because Mrs Physics keeps forgetting to put it on the system.

3. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Thanks secretsiren - very helpful!

4. Teaching_Tricks

Teaching_Tricks Occasional commenter

What does you school use for data management... there are many things other than SiMS out there (well front ends on SiMS) that have homework modules inbuilt... Go 4 Schools is one example

5. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

Don't know about cost, but as a class teacher, I really like it. Easy to use and easy for parents to keep an eye on the homework their child is being set (even if they've lost their login).

Having said that, another school I worked in used Google classroom, which I found worked well for communicating homework as well. Not as many homework specific features, but a good alternative if you can't afford SMHW

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The school I was in until a couple of years ago used SMH.
    It was fairly easy to use while internet was running. It saved printing costs because you didn't need to print sheets.
    Families without IT or working printers found it hard to use.
    Parents liked it.
    I have no idea of the cost.

It did for some unhelpful IT techs. We were all summoned to a demonstration in an IT suite, and lo, the people who came in from London had wasted their time and petrol, SLT realised just why people were complaining about the state of IT - wasn't just whingers!

7. LK_UK

LK_UK New commenter

I've had the opportunity to use SMHW for the last few years at 2 different schools.

I really like it, especially for setting homework for multiple classes, and for sharing homework with other members of staff. Particularly as you can attach worksheets, sources, youtube links, etc. as previously mentioned. You can also set your homework well in advance of time as well which is great for setting a project based homework over the course of the half term.

I also like the fact if the students forget to submit their homework SMHW send them messages to tell them they are over due. Great for tracking as well as if you opt for an online submission it can populate a report for you showing who has submitted. Always useful to print off and have on the table at parents evening.

I managed to win a fair few Y7 classes over to the idea of homework as they can download and check it from an app on their phones... that was before our school culled phones mind. :)

8. hatemarking

hatemarking New commenter

I hate it. No one seems to know how much it costs....

9. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Not a big fan either. Students who didn,t do homework before we had the system still don,t do it they just give different excuses. I never use on line submission it just means I have to print off the work to do all that lovely triple marking. I don,t think many parents ever got the letter with the login details ( there,s a surprise) as we still get complaints that liitle Jonnie doesn,t get much homework. And SLT use it as another stick to beat us with

10. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I do think it has to be used well to be effective and I also think it's not helpful if your SLT track individual teachers (last year my extremely unpleasant Head chastised one of my department for never setting homework for their Year 8 class...they hadn't thought to check whether or not the teacher actually taught Year 8!). However, I like putting quizzes on there (quick and easy check of how well a topic has been understood and I don't have to mark it!) and I like the fact I can reuse homework I stuck on there previously. I also, as a HoD, look at it to see what homework my department teachers are setting so if a child says 'I never get English homework' or a parent asks what they can do to support their child at home, I can just direct them straight to the relevant bit.
    But everyone has to use it and it should be for the benefit of parents/students, not megalomaniac SLT.

11. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I like it but it isn't always used effectively!

I've found it works best if you're flexible on how you want the HW submitted!

12. rich_m

rich_m New commenter

Like many things I think the system works fine, if it is needed that is.

For me this is more of a duplication of recording that any decent teacher/department/school shouldn't need. I have to use it, so I do, but it doesn't help me raise the number of students submitting homework, it takes time to set and record using it that I could otherwise use doing something useful.

While it looks good to many higher-ups, my fear is that like at my school, it's more used to monitor staff than students. Like mentioned above, the only impact I've seen is that staff get told off for not setting homework, rather than students.

13. Can someone please post the link to sign up as a teacher on Show My Homework please?

Thanks, Jay

14. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Google classroom does pretty much the same things as Show my homework and is free. I would suggest that it would be a better choice for a school as a first entry to this sort of thing

15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Google Classroom is better, more flexible and extendable. There is no comparison.

16. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I haven't used Google Classroom myself, but I know of a school nearby which does and it seems to work very successfully. The pupils can access everything they or their teachers have put on there at home.