1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Show a random photograph

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you know what the association with Reckitts blue and roast beef is?

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Not a photo, a video: kittens in water.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Mustard (Colman), I suspect

Duke of York likes this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I like your Gwen John profile pic, @cissy3

cissy3 likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Restoration Puppy.

7. Duke of York

Yep, but there's all sorts of other familar stuff associated with the Reckitt-Colman brandmost people wouldn't expect they made.

Did you know they make Windowlene, for example? When I was a kid, I remember there were lorries delivering coal with the Rickett-Coleman brand painted on them.

It wasn't until I was learnt how to spell coal properly that I pondered over whether the coalman knew how to spell his job title.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

**cough cough**
    It's Windolene.

9. Duke of York

What do you expect from a company that doesn't know how to spell coalman?

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Musterd

11. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

[​IMG]

A photomontage by photographer Maurice Guibert of a young Toulouse-Lautrec painting himself posing… (circa 1890). Those 19th century photographers were also partial to a bit of trick photography!

TheoGriff, nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

From Hong Kong

[​IMG]

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

[​IMG]tern Eastern China - it's lovely - go if you get the chance.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Another Hong Kong Image
    [​IMG]

15. Duke of York

[​IMG]
    At 14:20 on Sunday 2nd April 1916, 109 men and boys were killed by an explosion at the gun powder works at Uplees, near Faversham. 200 tons of TNT blew up when some empty sacks caught fire. So great was the explosion that windows across the Thames estuary in Southend were shattered and the tremor was felt in Norwich. The crater made by the explosion was 40 yards across and 20 feet deep.

A brave attempt was made to extinguish the fire before it got out of control, but factory manager George Evetts ordered everyone to leave the site when the situation became hopeless. However, the explosion occured as everyone was leaving the site.

Included in the 109 dead, was the whole of the Works Fire Brigade. Many firemen died in subsequent smaller explosions on the site. Many bodies were recovered from the surrounding marshes and *****, but seven were recorded as missing, most probably atomised by the explosion. Many of the dead were buried in a mass grave at Faversham Cemetery on 6th April 1916.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Great-Great and Great Grandfathers were both photographers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I have a photo of my Grandad as a young man sitting at a table opposite himself, set up and photographed by his dad. A treasured family heirloom.

fraisier, nomad and primarycat like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Now is the time of year for murmurations of starlings, especially at sunset on clear days. Round our way they congregate above a couple of large pools reclaimed from industrial land:

IMG_0637 -1.jpg

IMG_0608 -1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    monicabilongame, nomad and primarycat like this.
  19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

[​IMG]

"This is a photograph of an East German soldier helping a little boy cross the newly erected Berlin Wall the day it was built. Despite being given orders by the East German government to let no one pass into East Berlin, the soldier helped the boy sneak through the barbwire. It was reported that the soldier was caught doing this benevolent deed by his superior officer, who removed the soldier from his unit. Hopefully his punishment was minor and he wasn’t imprisoned or shot. Descriptions of this photo come with the caveat that “no one knows what became of him”. "

The boy had been in the west part of Germany visiting relatives with his father the day the "wall" (only barbed wire at the time) went up. The rest of the boy's family, including his mother, was on the other side, and the father believed he'd be better off with his mother.

monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  20. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Crystal room.jpg

My desktop photie.

TheoGriff likes this.