1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Shouty headteacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kji, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kji

kji New commenter

my HT is very shouty. He's exploded at me before and others have said the same. One colleague told me that he slammed his hands on his desk and called her a silly girl.

I'm very intimidated to be alone with him. I have a RTW meeting on Monday and he says I have to go alone and I'm just too scared. I feel bullied by him and the DHT my therapist says I have been traumatised by the last meeting I had with them both and I just don't know what to do.

Any thoughts

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Take someone with you.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Speak to the chair of governors, make sure the C of G is on your side, make a formal complaint and get your HT the sack.

4. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Yes, he does sound like a bully. Don’t see him on your own.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

He sounds extremely childish. I can't stand shouty teachers, and shouty HTs take the biscuit.

Good luck with the meeting and I hope you get someone to go with you, and that either he changes his attitudes very soon or leaves teaching for good.

6. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

7. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

Don't be alone with someone who is so obviously volatile. Violence is often their next response. Mine invited me to a meeting but threatened to beat me to a pulp if I attended.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just turn up with your union rep and walk in confidently and with a smile.
    Just do it.
    If he shouts that you need to be alone, then just leave the room.
    RTW meetings aren't compulsory, so just leave and go to your classroom and get on with your work.
    If he wants a meeting, he has to behave.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why didn't you call the police?
    Well, if this actually ever happened, why didn't you call the police?

Pomza, cazzmusic1, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  10. cupcake108

cupcake108 New commenter

11. cupcake108

cupcake108 New commenter

Please say you're joking......

pepper5 likes this.
  12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

No, you don't have to be alone. Get your union rep in, or a friend from the school. You could even insist that someone from HR attends - he might find that less threatening. Your therapist has given you a medical reason for this, so you shouldn't have to.

And as others have said, if he insists that you attend alone, don't attend or leave.

One final point - get everything in email. Use the school's system so he can't say he didn't receive it.

13. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The lack of professionalism here is astounding. Clearly this HT has got away with shouting and has been rewarded for shouting. There needs to be a negative consequence for the shouting. All of the above.

14. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

When did this happen?

15. kji

kji New commenter

My meeting is due next week but he hasn't responded. I've had OH report and he's also implying that he will only consider one or two of the recommendations. It feels like he's making veiled threats in the emails too. He keeps referring to 'formal procedures' that he's considering.

He's shouted at me earlier this year and the reports from others have all been this year too.

cazzmusic1 and agathamorse like this.
  16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Record any meetings on your phone if you can't take someone with you.

cazzmusic1 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  17. kji

kji New commenter

I thought about that but not sure where I stand legally

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would certainly tell both HR and OH that you have felt intimidated by his shouting and that you aren't prepared to attend any meetings with him unless someone else is in attendance.

See how he likes them apples. Plus it'll be hard for him to bully you because you've officially marked his card. Which should have been done long since!

19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Is there any point in suggesting a more public venue for any meeting? You could explain you would like neutral ground and ask the union to suggest somewhere you could use?
    I was once at a meeting on the September training day where the Head shouted and threatened all the staff for almost half an hour, because the A level results had been so awful (perhaps the students might have had some responsibility?) He yelled that there would be job losses and "heads will roll". This was all very intimidating - especially for those of us who had nothing whatsoever to do with the sixth form... Some Heads just seem to get away with things.
    Don't let yourself be bullied into this situation. It sounds as if he has worse lined up for you, so keep a record and keep unions involved.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What is defined as bullying at work?
    There is no legal definition of bullying. Acas, however, defines workplace bullying as “offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means that undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the person being bullied”. The Health and Safety Executive emphasises this is a pattern of behaviour rather than isolated instances, happening “repeatedly and persistently over time”.

So start keeping records. The shouting, the emails, all of it. You need to establish a pattern.