1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Shout at them'

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by opendoors, Feb 5, 2012.

1. At times being a supply teacher is really a challenge.

Since I was hardly getting jobs from xx agency, I then decided to register with yy agency. The consultant at the yy agency asked me which schools I have been to before. I mentioned the only school I had been to but forgot to explain that I only covered KS1. She was shocked to hear that I have been going to such school. 'How do you cope? The behaviour at that school is 'disgusting'. We no longer send our teachers there.'

A few days later, xx agency asked me to cover a Year 4 class for the afternoon only at the only school they always send me.

The afternoon was meant to be a simple one. Registration took us 20 minutes. A Police Constable (PC) came to talk with children for an hour. The PC and I were like cornered animals in that Y4 classroom. The PC and I wouldn't believe the behaviour being displayed; not sitting for 2 minutes without a few calling out, from and there a few shouting this and that is doing this...is doing that, a couple just leaving the room without permission...

The PC and I FELT VERY SORRY for the children especially the well-behaved ones.

After the PC left, it become worse. I send 2 children to go and get the head teacher. Didn't believe my 2 helpers' message... 'The Head said...Shout at them'. WHAT!

That afternoon there was a fire drill. There was no order at all at the assembly point. Some staff were chatting in small groups, some shouting at students, not even a single class was lining up in a single file. Oh dear! I whispered to a colleague from same agency. 'Just look around. Am not coming back', was his reply. I learnt I wasn't alone.

A later check at Ofsted report: 'The catchment area of the school is one of high socio-economic deprivation'.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

A very sorry story, and I quite understand your wishes if you didn't want to go back. Poverty isn't an excuse for a school to have poor behaviour, nor is it a socio-economic destiny that the children there have to underachieve. What it means is that the senior staff have to be at the top of their game in order to provide the kind of boundaries and clarity these children need in order to overcome any social disadvantages fate might have dealt them. Alas, it doesn't sound like this school is up to it. If you want to tough it out, then you need to make sure you have a seating plan, class lists, and hang around at the end of then day to collect students for detention, call home, etc. It takes real steel to endure a situation like that, and these kids sound like they need exactly that- adults prepared to go the extra mile to teach them, not only the contents of the syllabus, but to work together for the sake of their futures.
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do
    Tom
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.