1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should your school be using the OFSTED criteria to monitor progress?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by modgepodge, Dec 19, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm primary so not familiar with controlled assessment, but I'm under the impression that in said lesson they were doing some kind of test? And the criticism was that there was no teaching going on? Surely to teach whilst they're doing a test defies the objective of doing the test......?! I think NQT obs should be planned in so you can make sure you ARE teaching when it is done - it shouldn't be just "dropped in" esp if there are assessments going on at the time as it's not a fair reflection of your teaching! This def sounds a bit dodgy to me.

2. Controlled Assessment is basically coursework, but nowadays pupils do this in school to avoid cheating that could be done by taking it home! Most controlled assessments a have a certain number of hours allotted to them. For example, the first 5 might be planning what they're going to write, what evidence to use etc. and this is usually done with a bit of teacher input, the next 5 hours might be the write up, which is to be an individual task with no teacher input! Obv. different subjects have different guidelines for their controlled assessments, but I believe they generally follow a similar path.

3. Hi
    You should be assessed against the core standards as noted above. These are not the same as OFSTED criteria and if the school is using OFSTED criteria how they are applied is crucial. Expecting, for example, a NQT to meet say OUTSTANDING on OFSTED is not realistic, it would be like asking a driver who has just passed their test to consistently meet the advanced driver standards but with no extra help or tuition.
    To criticisie you for 'no teaching' in a controlled assessment lesson is also somewhat silly - if you 'taught' them what to do you would be accused of cheating in the assessment. The SLT must klnow this, so is thius what they are wanting you to do?? You need to provide a written feedback on their observation to point out that the lesson was a controlled assessment and that perhaps in future observations, they should avoid such lessons.
    There is a lot of hoop jumping to be done, but the hoops should be the right ones.
    James

4. Thank you all. l have now a new mentor and he as suggested that I contact the local LEA. He feels that although I have been employed at the school as an instructor that I am being judged as an experienced teacher not an NQT.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To clarify if you are employed as an instructor you would not be completing induction- instructors do not hold QTS -that is why they are instructors. If your contract is employment as a teacher then you come under the statutory requirements for induction.