1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should your employer be able to dictate what you eat?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51529207

"How would you feel if your expenses were declined because your meal contained meat?

That's the situation at property developers Igloo Regeneration, where all corporate entertaining, workshop catering and even staff expenses must now be vegetarian if staff wish to be reimbursed."

I wonder how they'll enforce this if the staff have to entertain clients who want to eat meat? Irrespective of whether you're a vegetarian or carnevore, surely it's your right to decide what you fancy eating, rather than your employer's?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Daft.
    Almost as daft as the branches of Veggie Pret popping up.
    Why do we need a Veggie Pret?
    Do regular Pret stores not sell veggie food?
    What if I want a bacon roll and there's only a Veggie Pret?
    Why not open a 'Meaty Pret'?
    The world is going daft!

caress, Laphroig, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

In the example given the employees were consulted and a majority supported the initiative.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder what the situation would be if the employer demanded all staff eat meat?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

caress, bevdex, Dragonlady30 and 5 others like this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Is it April 1st already?

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

So the ones who were against it have what they eat dictated by their employer against their wishes.

From the article: "I would certainly be concerned about discrimination if an employer was not providing food for their vegetarian staff."

Why? Because eating meat makes you a second class kind of person so it seems, not to have your preferences taken as seriously as a vegetarian.

Why can't they just be given an allowance rather than having what they eat policed by their employer?

Laphroig, towncryer and agathamorse like this.
  10. LondonCanary

Per diems are a bit stingy and you can't recover the VAT. Expenses can have no practical limit or restrictions on hours worked.

11. LondonCanary

I wonder what would happen if the employer demanded all staff eat veal and foie gras?

JL48 and agathamorse like this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I like the idea of an employer that pays expenses for your daily lunch, vegetarian or not!

roman_eagle, towncryer and mothorchid like this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Such a shame that the company's Chief Executive (Blueprint) goes by the name of Samantha Veal. :D:D

http://www.iglooregeneration.co.uk/people/

14. Mangleworzle

They are as stingy as the employer dictates. All the more reason for this Big Brother employer not to decide on the diet of its employees, it's got them lots of publicity though will may be as much the reason as any other.

15. LondonCanary

Per diems above the HMRC limit are subject to tax. That's why tax free expenses are better for the employee.

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In my experience, independent schools generally offer teachers free lunches.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wonder how well that'd go down if it was compulsory meat.

18. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

If you worked, say in a Kosher or Halal place, then I'd expect your employer to dictate rules about what you eat.
    I don't think it'd bother me, but to be honest, it seems to be a very "woke" place, so I can't think it'd bother most of the employees, especially if they have been consulted and agreed to it.
    Fuss about very little, I feel.

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Yes. But not state schools, which is where about 9/10 teachers work!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Mangleworzle

So as I said, as stingy as the employer dictates, if it is going to cost the employee just give them a bit more money to compensate. It's not difficult just a bit painful for the poor old employer. A shame that saving money becomes a controlling measure in terms of diet choices don't you think? or are you only a libertarian when it comes to being in control?