1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should you cheat yourself at Scrabble to let them win occasionally?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, May 16, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Should you cheat yourself at Scrabble to let them win, occasionally? Or do you just play the game as its intended?
    I say let them have a go at winning, so long as the words are legit. I don't need to win every game, do I?

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No. I play everything to win: don't see the point in doing anything else.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Never 'let' anyone win.
    Never cheat so someone else wins.
    Even playing Snakes and Ladders with younger family members I will not let them win. If you are old enough to play the game. you are old enough to lose.
    My family don;t let me play games very often!

4. I've let my little girls win at scrabble more often than I ought. I really, really bothers my competitive nature though!

5. Never! Scrabble is a deadly serious game!
    I have considered asking my grandaughter to let me win at snakes and ladders occasionally though. She is a fiend.

6. I never let anyone win at anything (says more about me ....etc) but sometimes when they are stuck at scrabble I point them in the right direction and help them - I just can't resist it!

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Sometimes I'll sit down with my younger two and do some colouring in with them. It's therapeutic, you know!
    I hate it when my 2 year old insists on 'helping' me colour in. Mine is so neat and inside the lines [​IMG]

8. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I don't think you should cheat at anything but I often do less than my best in the interests of opening up the board and giving them to opportunity to put things down. This is the way they learn to get better at the game.

9. Nope! Never! I looked after my four year old niece when I first moved to Oz, and I'm afraid I never let her win at anything. We played all sorts of games, and I taught her how to play cards. Her mother was rather astounded when my niece asked her if she wanted to play cards, proceeded to teach my sister how to play at gin rummy, and beat her astoundingly

"Who taught you to play cards like that?????"

"Auntie Annie" was the inevitable response.....

My niece is a young adult now, and introduces me to her friends as "This is my Auntie Annie... this is where I get my competitive streak, and my terrible sense of humour from........."

I think she's turned out rather well! [​IMG]

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What happened to the Fantasy Football this year, ils? I'm sure you let me win ... [​IMG]

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Nor mine anymore. They reckon I cheat, just because I play Scrabble on my laptop <strike>all the time</strike> quite often. I take no prisoners! Even when son was very young. They have to learn! Well I did used to help him out when I got at least a hundred ahead . [​IMG]

12. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Play your best so that if they beat you it's a real success for them. Losing is character building.
    It's not fair to let your kids win. It's not doing them any favours. Kids who never lose at home make total asses of themselves in school when they have a tantrum because they've lost. This is bad enough in primary but in secondary it's just embarrassing.
    Anyone ever played Banagrams? It's brilliant.

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

What lesson is taught by allowing anyone to win?
    Defeat them, crush them, dash their hopes, until they start winning regulalrly - then change the game.

14. doomzebra

and who the hell started the lame idea that everyone wins a prize in pass the parcel?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This game doesn't work any more because once they've got something out of the parcel if you have a little present in each layer then they lose interest completely. It is a pretty c ra p game anyway though when you think about it.

16. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

It used to be consequences between each layer when I was a child. You had to do things like say the alphabet backwards; sing a nursery rhyme or hop ten times. It could be pretty humiliating and traumatic if you were shy and had to sing. I guess kids got a bit soft and someone decided they couldn't take doing consequences so prizes were put in instead.

17. doomzebra

When I was young the first layer had razor blades. Subsequent layers had salt and vinegar to aggravate the cuts.
    Hah

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The parecls we had were the fore-runners of cluster bombs, if you didn't lose a body part you were soft.

19. I used to play draughts and backgammon with my Granddad. I beat him at draughts when I was 11. It was the best feeling ever - he used to trounce me usually! I think I only won a few more times, he was a much better strategist than I will ever be. I never ever managed to win backgammon.

It's healthy to lose, and great to know you've won by your own efforts.