1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should you be assigned to one class or move around lots of classes?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hercule, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I spoke to the school I'll be working in recently and the head told me that she wanted me to move around lots of different classes and year groups during my GTP training. I always thought GTP trainees would be predominantly based in one class while, of course, observing and working in other classes at various points in the year (as well as spending time in another school). The school I'll be working in has a large number of challenging pupils and behaviour, and the head herself emphasised the critical importance of teachers establishing strong relationships. I'm slightly concerned that, if I'm constantly moving around, I won't be able to do this.
    Does anyone know if moving around lots of classes is typical?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I assume you are primary? The usual practice is to be based with a specific year group with an experienced mentor and as your teaching role increases with the class the mentor's decreases. The rule of thumb of teaching 20% first term-60% second and 80% by third.
    Whatever the individual arrangements the school needs to have a clear training plan which has been agreed by the EBITT as there are certain considerations such as the amount of time spent in particular year groups , amount of literacy/numeracy taught etc. Check with the EBITT for clarification

3. It varies from school to school. I was mainly in one class where the teacher was also my mentor. However other GTPers had a mentors who were not their class teacher and they moved around each term. Either is acceptable. Although I was mainly in one class, I did teach at least one afternoon a week and eventually one day a week in another key stage to ensure I got a wide enough experience. The benefit of moving is that you get a wider experience. I wouldn't think they would move you too often.

4. I was assigned to one class with my mentor. As my teaching load increased, hers decreased and she was used to cover across the school or to fullfil other roles, such as releasing people for meetings/management time. I was teaching 60% by the end of the first term and in my last term I was teaching the same as a normal class teacher 90% (obviously with once a fortnight out for Uni up until mid-June). It prepared me well for my NQT year.
    I did spend short amounts of time teaching in Year 4 and Year 6 and I also shadowed a teacher for a few days in Year 3. In the first term I taught the LA numeracy set, second term MA numeracy set and final term HA numeracy set.

5. We have been advised that r 60% placement will be in one key stage and are 80% in the other.

FYI Reading Uni Primary.

6. Am I the only one who doesn't understand this?
    Out of interest ... have you done your QTS skills tests yet?

7. We will be doing two main placements one which we are teaching 60% and one doing 80% of the teaching.
    As we have chosen two stages to focus on. I have chosen Foundation (3-5) and Key Stage 1 (5-7). So one of my main placements will be in Foundation and one in KS1
    Hope this makes sense
    x

8. Perfect sense, salsouthernsoftie [​IMG] ... unlike your first wording which I admittedly got to the bottom of after 5 or 6 readings, but even then I was slightly unsure.
    Sorry Welshwizzard, I was being a little sarcastic there!