1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should you be acknowledged by SLT

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Iceni_princess, Sep 26, 2019.

1. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I’m in SLT, I’m not a monster. Some of us are realistic, hard working, supportive leaders. I’m the first one in and the last one out nearly every day. I don’t strut, i have been known to skip. I do often have a clipboard, but it’s full of children’s observations. And if I didn’t have the staff team I lead I would be drowning.
    Far cry from my last school, which had a culture of fear, and my days were spent protecting the team from the pressures above.
    Sweeping statements denouncing every SLT member ever to exist are not necessarily true, there are still some of us good guys out there.
    I greet everyone from executive head, children and cleaners the same way, not doing so is plain rude!

VeronicAmb, ATfan, tall tales and 9 others like this.
  2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Thank you for restoring a balanced view...

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well yes, thank you, but
    What is the psychology of couching this morsel of ill-concealed triumph in your post?
    Working hours or comparisons thereof were not mentioned at all in the original issue. How is this relevant? Is it not also relevant that somebody else less visible will be the last to down their pen at home every night?
    I'm guessing I have a take on it which may not correspond to any response from you, but try me-I'm listening...

4. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I don’t see sweeping statements denouncing every SLT member to exist but I do see specific points made in response to somebody who has identified as a member of SLT and what they have said on this topic.

Not sure how your work ethic or the amount of hours is relevant to the original point.

5. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

You really want to know something, I'm glad you responded to that arrogant waste of space (and probably taxpayers money) because I was about to. I don't think guessing what kind of atmosphere his/her schools has would be too difficult either. It is common courtesy to acknowledge people who are trying to get the SLT a Good or Outstanding. Get this, when I was employed by the AET some years ago, we had this 'Executive Head' who wouldn't even bother to respond to emails. The idiot has the same surname as one of our prime ministers.

ATfan, suzuki1690, Curae and 2 others like this.
  6. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

It shouldn't be a question of "should you be acknowledged by SLT?"
    It should be "should you be acknowledged by another human being?".
    You need be careful with the "suck it up, get on with it and do what you're contracted to do." attitude. Next time someone needs a favour, or your car has a flat tyre and you need a hand, or any other one of the hundreds of little interactions in the world that attempt to make it a nicer place, remember those words. Previously I had a SLT member who ended up with a flat tyre in the car park at the end of a dark, wet winter evening. Everyone drove past them in the rain, with just a glance at them struggling to see what they were doing. Not very friendly, but staff were not contracted to help someone change a wheel.
    It does not cost anything to be pleasant. Good Morning is free.

7. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

In both state schools I worked in the Head and most of the SLT team avoided any sort of hello or smile when they saw me in the corridors. They were busy rushing off to an assembly to promote good manners.

Caro D, VeronicAmb, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  8. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I get a general impression that the view is all SLT are work shy, hiding in an office and being useless and vindictive across this forum.
    I have been on the receiving end of bad leadership to the point of wanting to drive into the central reservation on the motorway and crying every day, it destroyed me and my confidence. Trust me there is nothing boastful about me, I have constant imposters syndrome, but I am doing my best. I more wanted to add balance that not all SLT are like that. I obviously was in error and have caused offence.
    Also to clarify I am in a large off site school nursery so I am in first and out last because I wouldn’t expect my team to be putting in hours longer than I am. It was not meant to be triumphant, I’m there to support, do my share and muck in. I change nappies and clean up sick just the same as everyone else.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    VeronicAmb, ATfan, a1976 and 2 others like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No,not offence.
    More like an eye roll that it should be worthy of mention that you stay there longer than anybody else.
    Why?
    Who cares?
    It's another form of strutting in itself that you are conscious of nobody else staying there as long as you,and implies a way of looking askance on, say,early leavers who need to get their kids. (If not looking askance,than at the very least, quantifying their time in the building. I've suffered for that in my time,as have many readers of this)
    Early leavers who may well stay up far later than you at night working.

Bothered me that you had to state your on-site hours when the rest of your post conveyed empathy and a humane approach. You don't have a monopoly on working hard.

annascience2012 and meggyd like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I always challenge the "all SLT are heartless" narrative. That simply cannot be true. I only address one report at a time.

So nobody has to justify themselves. Make constructive suggestions if you will. But no need to feel victimised. No matter how many stories we hear? Every school is different. Each case on its (de)merits.

11. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I stay to help, support, muck in? I don’t expect my team to stay late. I don’t care if they go at 3.45, the earliest they can, I do care if they are still there at 6. That means we need to look at work load and I need to pick up some extra stuff at busy times. The fact you instantly assume the worst of me kind of makes my point.

12. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

Kindness and politeness costs nothing, contempt breeds contempt. The SLT in case are wrong. How you go about changing that culture? I don’t really know, but it’s not right and it’s not ok.

13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

You’re sure? Why not be certain?
    Why don’t you ask them? (you know they're professionals with lengthy training and expertise - otherwise you wouldn’t be employing them)
    Maybe first thing try, ‘morning Mrs Cat, id like to pop into your lesson today - perhaps lesson 1 if that’s convenient or is there another lesson where I could see the excellent work I know you’re doing’

Ahh, I see which ‘ page’ you’re on.
    Do you think it’s possible that your attitude towards ‘your’ highly trained staff comes across to them?

This. Take note

ATfan and phlogiston like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

@katiejane1

You really don't have to justify yourself. You don't have to be a standard-bearer for SLT everywhere.

It is the nature of this forum that people come with problems. Bosses are generally in a more powerful position so attract more complaints. That's ok. It's the way of the world.

You just carry on doing a great job. Nobody is having a go at you!

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some SMTs have turned their backs on school staff, seeing themselves as 'us' and everyone else as 'them'. From the staff's viewpoint, the SMT has become part of the problem, not the solution: no longer there to support but to police. In my last school, the SMT physically withdrew from the school by sequestering themselves in a new admin block built on the other side of the playground, to which access was restricted to those who possessed a special key fob. When the SMT, or one of the many proxies they appointed to keep themselves at arm's length, did sally forth into the school, you knew it meant trouble, as they were usually on some sort of razzia (sorry: 'fact-finding mission to drive up standards'). Management's communication with chalk face staff was by impersonal and demanding emails, the electronic equivalent of 'death by memo'. This sort of behaviour soon has staff moral at rock bottom.

16. grumpydogwoman

But there are too many of these stories and we do get very jaded by it.

I remember our small school in 2013. I always wondered why we needed a non-teaching Head AND Deputy. It was a very small school.

DexterDexter, ATfan and agathamorse like this.
  17. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Bizarrely, a line manager once had a melt down at me because she didn’t hear me saying “Good morning” to her (because it kind of overlapped with her thanking me for something). The first I knew was when I was called into the boss’s office and told off for not being friendly. Another colleague who’d actually heard my “Good morning” spoke up on my behalf, but it wasn’t any help - they’d made up their mind I had deliberately not spoken to her.

I wouldn’t have minded, but the same line manager had spent years - YEARS - stalking past me without speaking - and treated most of the rest of the staff the same way. I’d never bothered about reporting it - it was just how things were with her. It simply seemed totally insane then that SHE would report me for not being friendly the first time she didn’t hear me!

I spent the next month bellowing “HELLO AND GOOD MORNING” to everyone I saw...

18. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

19. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

You sound like an SLT. Based on my experience.

20. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

When I started at my school we had a non-classed based head. We had a deputy who had two non teaching days a week. That was our SLT. Now we have HT, a DHT, two AHTs, an Inclusion Manager and a business manager. All non teaching. Our outcomes are pretty much as they were.