1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should you be acknowledged by SLT

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Iceni_princess, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Iceni_princess

Iceni_princess New commenter

I’ve moved to a new school and noticed SLT don’t really interact with many of the staff. No hellos or smiles. Having completed the NPQSL but working part-time, it’s surprised me. Please share your experiences with SLT interactions

Studentteach1 and Curae like this.
  2. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Speaking as a member of SLT, who tries to pop into all of my staff during the school day to say hello. I would say, I don't think that it is necessary. I'm sure the staff appreciate seeing me and that it is good for morale. However, we shouldn't need to be thanked for doing our job, that is literally what we are paid to do. So suck it up, get on with it and do what you're contracted to do.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

sidekick - I get your point about popping in to classes, but I think the OP is talking about more than that - just simply acknowledging someone as you pass in the hallway is simple good manners. If SLT aren't doing that - and even purposely not doing that - how on earth can you expect the kids to?

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

nobody want SLT popping into their classes. Everybody expects to be acknowledged passing in the corridor. SMT not doing that is indicative of a far deeper issue, in my experience

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Coming to school isn't optional for the kids so they don't get out of it either but I found they appreciated it if you may remembered their names or said they looked especially smart or asked about their poorly mum.

I think, although I retired in 2013, it used to be known as common decency, building relationships, encouraging, developing team spirit, making people feel more like people than cogs in a machine.

But what sentimental fools we were! @sidekick125 Pu.ssy-footing around as if we cared or thought we might get the best out of each other!

What a load of baloney. Suck it up, suckers!

hhhh, 1970devon, sabrinakat and 19 others like this.
  6. Sharpie123

Sharpie123 New commenter

It’s just good manners to acknowledge people you know. If we aren’t doing that, what are we teaching the students?

7. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

You’re right.

The OP, I think, Is suggesting the level of aloofness that’s felt. Power-mad.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

...said the person who is paid loads to proceduralise with papers the work of those who are paid peanuts to work with millions of kids despite the added pressures of proceduralisation.

What a shining example of putting others in their place.

The leadership teams I know have generally a propensity to strut, when actually there is nothing inherently beneficial to any education system derived from the performance of strutting . I think that just about sums up the issue.

Doesn't bother me. I don't seek friendly validation from every passing traffic warden either.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  9. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

"My staff". Not colleagues, staff.
    Also nobody appreciates unnecessary disruption to their classes. I was once teaching an R.E lesson and the whole class was totally absorbed... I think it was about the Holocaust. There was absolute silence in a good way. This was shattered when an assistant head burst through the door, just " doing the rounds".
    Just smile on the corridor and say hello. Just basic social skills really.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Think about the messages this gives to the children! I used to greet everyone every morning by being seen in the corridors and saying good morning to every class. We smiled at each other in the corridors as well as chatted and bantered - staff and children. It was a happy place to be and the children loved it!

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I thought this too.
    That's a choice example of the lexical strut.
    Often accompanied by the SLT comma gaffe* which is generally only visible in the first instance to those who actively seek ribaldry.
    Because there isn't enough already in mere strutting.

*seek and you shall find

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  13. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I can see that you were up very early in tbe morning. Maybe you were very tired hence your unhelpful response to OP. Maybe you need to think of your work place in terms of functioning as a team.
    Suck it up.... really ! Lets be polite and have manners. My mother would be very disappointed with your attitude as I'm sure yours would be! I would have thought a happy "staff" would be a more effective "staff".

14. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Love this response and it costs nothing!

15. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Exactly!

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I went into teaching because I wanted to work with people. I have been lucky because for the most part, I have also worked with people centred colleagues and management.
    I hope / expect that my managers will see me as a constructive colleague, and acknowledge me in passing. I completely understand that there are occasions when leaders are talking to others about important things, or on the way to meetings, or thinking, or all the other stuff that I am happy to leave to slt. That doesn't happen all the time.
    SLT and morale is an interesting debate. From my perspective they build morale when they support you when children get it wrong , they work to ensure you have the tools and time to do the job, they acknowledge the good things you do and provide support when I get things wrong rather than threats of capability with fewer veils than Salome.
    However, they are what they are. There are a few I'm glad not to have met. There are a few I've kept (sometimes unsuccessfully) at arms length.

tenpast7, Curae, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  17. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I see it as basic manners to acknowledge colleagues. Clearly, as proven by a post earlier on, this is beyond some members of SLT who, dare I say, may be somewhat lacking in people skills.

18. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

When my son was in year 7 I got a job in his school to start in the following September. In the summmer I turned up to see him in the school concert and as the head was on the door I said something along the lines of, " Hi. I don't know if you remember me from the interview but I'm M and I've come to see D minor in his concert." The woman completely blanked me and that was the start of it. This was a head who didn't go around the room to allow staff to give briefing announcements but who picked out people according to her perceived staus of them. Rude. Rude. Rude.

19. bflat

bflat New commenter

Every member of staff should in my opinion acknowledge every other member of staff they see throughout the day as they walk through the corridors etc. I hold doors open for people, say good morning, smile, or any other of the myriad ways it’s possible to show a positive working environment. I say hello to the kids, the cleaners, the parents, visitors, the receptionists etc. When I leave the school at the end of the day I make the effort to pop my head round my HoD’s door to say goodbye and tell him anything he needs to know for the following day. It’s common courtesy.

20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I would think saying "Good morning" is basic good manners. I would be inclined to say it quite loudly at each member of SLT I saw. With a BIG smile. Then they would find it harder to ignore you.
    Rudeness.