1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Year 1 be more like EYFS?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grussell1, Sep 25, 2018.

Tags:
?

Should Year 1 be taught more like EYFS?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. grussell1

grussell1 New commenter

Good evening.

I understand that Ofsted think it's good practice to see Year 1 being taught more like EYFS - Ideally, I would like to explore this further, but I don't know I would be doing it for the right reasons. However, the problem I find is that there is so much to cover in the Year 1 Curriculum and the timetable is already jam-packed as it is, TA's are being utilised to meet SEN targets and other intervention group targets (For e.g, Higher ability children who are at risk of not making sufficient progress) and the counter-argument is that Year 1 are the middle-men that have to wean them away from the EYFS curriculum and into an environment preparing them for Year 2 SATS, we have to really get them ready from Year 1 ideally - Why should I go back to the EYFS curriculum when they have such "important" exams in two years time?

Really interested to hear people's thoughts on this controversial topic, and if you think it works, how do you make it work?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sod Ofsted!
    Teach your class in whatever way suits them best, whether that be more like EYFS or more like year 2.

3. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Yes, because of child development and the way young children learn best. However, it has to be different to EYFS , since the children are older and need more challenging and more complex activities.

There's a very good writer who has produced a book on this called Year One in Action- Anna Ephgrave. She is very good on how to cover the curriculum through play (although it is not all play, there are lessons and work with the teacher) but she writes about how to provide challenge and opportunities for the curriculum through more a more playful , less teacher lead setting. Fascinating. Not easy to do at all but much better engagement from the children.

I am not sure at all that OFSTED like it. I would be surprised if they did. They claim to only care about good outcomes and good progress but I would not be sure at all that OFSTED would understand this approach.

However, do what is best for the children. If you were to ask a small child how they would like to learn, I know what their answer would be. But it's a lot of work for the adults- setting it up and maintaining it and assessing the learning and changing the whole way learning is structured. Only to be done with the backing of your head and a good plan in place!