1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should women be educated?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Sep 17, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I have never met a woman who needed an education to help her make a speech.

elder_cat likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

"if you educate a man, you educate a man: If you educate a woman, you educate a community"

heard it said many times!

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

That poor woman sounds desperately unhappy.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The original argument was "Is education a waste of time for married women" with the premise that, with a home and family to run, it may be... or not.

In my view no education is wasted. Ever. Whether it be how to solve quadratic equations or knowing the date of the Battle of Bosworth Field.

I still recall a quote from the behavioural psychologist B. F. Skinner in 'New Scientist' some time back in the 1960s (I wasn't allowed the 'Beano' so subscribed to New Scientist instead). "Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. monicabilongame

"And what about the average woman who has been to the university, she marries, and has children, and she stays at home, or she should stay at home..." but once the children are off her hands she could do a university course then.

According to the argument put forward by Toni is that no woman should have higher education if she expects to marry and have children, until the children are off her hands, so therefore the argument extends to ALL women who are at the age when they would normally go off to university and/or go into training for a career. Interestingly enough, Toni also admitted she wished she had learned typing and shorthand because then she would have been much more likely to find employment. And typing and shorthand are education!

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Luckily, I had an older brother who subscribed.

nomad likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So I got the Beano as well.

knitone, nomad and Burndenpark like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I think that in the days that the interview was recorded, one person's wage may have been sufficient to support the other partner at home. Those were the days of more plentiful social housing and affordable properties. However, as we well know, one income is hard pressed to pay the mortgage/rent, food, clothing and the bills. Education is always valuable.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

And look how useless typing and shorthand are now! My education helped me with any speeches I made in my working role. On the back of rubbish like these ideas, I grew up supporting arguments for Women’s Lib. I think we’ve gone a long way past these old ideas.

12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Or it could be that we expect more these days...

An annual train journey to the coast for a week in the rain; or a radio at home with nights in the working men's club for entertainment just don't seem to be enough for many people now.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would like it to be noted that I am resisting temptation.

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Gosh!! This thread is SO 1960s!

(Yawn)

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not quite sure I see the point [other than the past is a foreign country]

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's an attempt to lure me into fatally sinning my soul.

17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Women 'educated' by whom?

Working my way through the introduction, notes and textual note heading towards Helen Graham.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just reread this and realised people might think I'm meaning ''Not quite sure I see the point of educating women''.

I meant ''Not quite sure I see the point the OP is trying to make''.

nomad likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

His work spawned the name of the folk band Skinner's Rats, who the band I was in became a warm up act for at a ceilidh in Hackney town hall. I met them in a German restaurant in Rochester many years later, on its opening night. The accordionist hadn't changed and the band was smaller than when I first met them.

We chatted for a bit during their break. It transpired the band name was something an ex-member had come up with, but none of them knew much about Skinner or his rats. Like Fairport Convention, they had lots of ex-members, who could also be current members if the band had a gig near them.

20. monicabilongame

Not trying to make a point. Just thought the culture of the 60's was interesting and wondered how it would be seen today - for eg. in the US I am sure there are some people who still think that women should stay at home and look after the kids/kids' father rather than pursue their own educational goals. How much education is 'enough' for a woman to cook, clean and bring up kids? In some 'third world' countries, the education is seen as being far more important for the boys than the girls, who will inevitably end up staying at home with the kids, and I'm sure everyone here has taught girls from the traveller community who disappear sometime between year 7 and year 8 because their ultimate role is to cook, clean and have the kids. So really a starting point for discussion.

lanokia likes this.