1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should we try to open this forum up more???

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by bigpedro, Mar 27, 2012.

1. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

It occured to me today that the 20 or so people who log in here regularly and add comment (negative like most of mine [​IMG] ) or otherwise, may be the creative thinky people who share ideas e.t.c.
    Yet we winge (well I do) about lack of creativity, conventions and peoples inability to change / adapt.
    How about we try to harness the collective power of all the others in the country who simply sit in dingy workshops making steady hand games and autonomas year after year? get them to log in and have a read/share experience and ideas? It may win a few hearts and minds and could improve the subject across the board.
    Im going to ask everyone in my dep't to log on here in the next week or so. If we all do the same perhaps we can bang a few heads together and move forward.
    Just a thought
    Anyone else fancy it???
    BP

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Hi BP, like your thinking, the more people the better, otherwise you simply end up preaching to the converted, inturn discussing the details of an issue rather than the wider issue itself ( think that makes sense?)
    As a result I have started to include "the forum discussion of the week" on the DT landing page. The topic of most relevance/importance to us. The more people who see this and get involved the better. Have a look at the DT Landing Page www.tes.co.uk/tes-design . You or anyone else for that matter can contact me direct and request a topic which should be highlighted. The landing page itself is only one month old but as time goes on more and more people should visit and this could well become the forum that you are looking for/suggesting?

Cheers

Spencer
    TES DT Advisor

3. This is actually very good, maybe we should have a link to it at the top of the forum?
    I feel stupid for not looking at this before but now it means I will spend even more time on TES when I should be marking! Ho Hum

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Maybe part of the reason the D&T forum isn't vibrant enough is that it's mostly inhabited by teachers asking for resourses or help with a specific problem.
    Whilst these can be valuable assets, they are not really moving design or technology forward. There's loads of fascinating stuff being discussed on the Internet in chat rooms, radio podcasts and the like.
    What I'd suggest is a sticky thread where posters can add links to sites they've found and feel worthy of sharing.
    For example, http://99percentinvisible.org/ is a site about architecture and it's name is derived from the fact that much of the design that goes into a building and makes it work better than other buildings goes unnoticed. But there were good reasons behind the innovations.
    Another is http://www.thingiverse.com/ where people share ideas they've been working on on their 3D printers, talk about the reasons they needed to modify their designs, the pitfalls they've had to overcome from the limitations of their machines and how they did it. The thing is, they accept the fact that you can't design the perfect object in one hit, but by re-designing it, getting advice from other forum users and so on, they eventually get there.
    How would this help the D&T forum? Well apart from the fact it might inspire teachers to discover new project ideas, once the links get posted, search engines will add TES as a possible source for info or discussion, and over time, designers from the outside world will visit to bring new ideas and solutions.

5. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Right, lets get these ideas going. First of all I am going to post up telling people about the landing page. I am also going to post on the landing page, every Monday morning the updates you guys give me. So to kick things off modelmaker you are first up and the two great links you have provided are going on this monday. Keep me informed and I will 100% include it in the landing page.
    Cheers
    Spencer
    DT TES Advisor