1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should we treat Personal like going to the pub every night?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mathsteach2, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I have posted many times in the past that this is what I do. As an NQT in 1966 I took the TES paper version every Friday, and mixed with my colleagues every night in the pub. This lasted for 30 years, until I came to Barbados. To keep up my practices I opened an account here, so when I post, or start a new thread, I am virtually sitting in a UK pub with other teachers, and some not teachers. I am 78 years old, I will not change my views, but just come to off-load them onto anyone who cares to listen. Should I continue to bother, stop, or go somewhere else? God bless.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

You are 78, retired and living in Barbados? How did you manage that?

I think that Personal is many things. For some, like you, it is a virtual pub. For others? A sounding board, a staffroom, a therapist, a punchbag, a coffee shop and for others a place to get into an argument, irritate others, inflate their egos etc etc. Luckily, on the whole, most people who visit are very very nice.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think the pub would be better, personally, but yes - it is a tiny bit like going to the pub with colleagues. Some of them you like, some of them you avoid, but it has a cosy familiarity regardless. It's entirely up to you whether you continue to bother, but I often read your posts even though I don't always reply (because why do that if I have nothing to contribute?)
    No need to change your views - you belong here as much as everybody else, eh?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I find it all too Presbyterian to be as enjoyable as the pub.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Can I have a bag of cheese and onion crisps, please?

ajrowing, Nanny Ogg, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  6. Mathsteach2

I married a Barbadian in 1993.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

The last time I was in a pub, the barman saw I had an empty glass and asked if I'd like another. What sort of idiot thinks I need two empty glasses?

ajrowing, suem75, Nanny Ogg and 5 others like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

You can get away with such an antisocial act in a virtual pub. ;)

Dunteachin and nomad like this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

If you enjoy reading and contributing on here, why stop? It's always nice to come on TES and see posts from familiar posters. I'm sure I'm not the only one who worries about posters if they stop posting without letting us know that they intend to do so.

10. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Mines a pint of London Pride
    Let’s hope for the best

11. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Also on what basis are you put on permanent moderation

12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I enjoy it here. Like a pub I ignore nasty tories ...

13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Unlike here, talking about politics, Brexit and religion is off limits in the pub.

14. red_observer

Not in the ones I go to...

Alice K and colpee like this.
  15. Mathsteach2

The obvious difference is that Personal is a public platform, vastly more extensive than a soap-box at Hyde Park Corner. We could shout loud in a pub and get banned. I did have to learn to moderate my extreme views, I was put on moderation, but my views have not changed.

16. red_observer

I believe mods now don’t even give us the chance to reply and say sorry after I was reported earlier... it does make me think what’s the point of being on here....

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But an anonymous one in which people are invisible and can pretend to be what they are not. It is even possible to return multiple times a day as a different person. That would be hard to do in a pub!

Oscillatingass likes this.
  18. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Fun to watch though! You could take bets on what their next disguise would look like.

colpee and Oscillatingass like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember, this is the place for redundant Lighthouses.

ajrowing likes this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I too enjoy it here. Unlike a pub I don’t spend money on drinks I didn’t really want in the first place.