1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should We Stop Using ISIS/IS/ISIL to refer to Daesh?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nick909, Nov 21, 2015.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

aspensquiver likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Don't like the use of Isis because it tarnishes the lovely name of an Egyptian god. I sometimes cat-sat a sweet cat called Isis.

monicabilongame and catmother like this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The "murdering filth" don't like being called Daesh, I believe its an insult. That alone makes it a called reason to call them Daesh, although I prefer "murdering filth".

smoothnewt and nick909 like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why not?

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Having read, often with mounting disgust, other threads on the alleged effects of Islam on the actions of these terrorists, I would think that this will attract some of the "usual suspects".
    A bit like flies to (banned word)

I personally don't don't care what name they go by or is used to refer to them.
    I know what they are and those words are banned too

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a very politically correct sort of western discussion... what shall we call them! We don't really refer to the enemy in WWII as Germans, we call them Nazis or Fascists. Because we like modern Germany.

We call them ISIS, the USA called the ISIL for a while, they want to be called IS... all just pretty stickers to plaster on to what they really are... barbaric, meathead thugs.

lexus300 likes this.
  9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Over and above any political correctness, it also suggests a refusal to acknowledge the existence of the state they are claiming to be, in the same way they refuse to acknowledge the existence of the countries they wish to destroy.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I want their religion and its believers to understand and to react against the source.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Good point.

12. Cliffedge

Cliffedge Occasional commenter

Why when these names all mean the same thing and Islamic is what they refer to themselves as?

13. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

In Arabic 'Daesh' just means D A E S H - Its an Arabic Acronym......that translates simply as I S I L.

The difference is that unlike English acronyms are not used very much in Arabic. DAESH (ISIL) wants people to use its pompous longer full form - its the term they use themselves.

It up to the Arabic people who suffer most from DAESH to select a word that describes them best - That's why the millions of Arabs who oppose them prefer the acronym turned to a word 'daesh' which can roughly sound like 'daes' meaning approximately to trample or crush under foot.

For Arabs daesh is therefore a fictitious made up word appropriate for a fictitious concept that sums up Daesh neatly.

That's why we should use daesh - because DAESH dont want us to and its what their Arabic opponents use to insult them .

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Surely if it's a recognised insult, the mods would be obliged to ban its use on these boards?

I'm of the opinion that each language should derive its own term for this group so we fully understand the relevancy.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What's Arabic for k********?

I'm sure Oxford University Rowing Club's second boat crew would be delighted if we came up with an alternative name for the nutters rampaging around Syria.

16. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

رؤساء مقبض Ruasa'mukbid

17. xmal

xmal Established commenter

They are Islamic so let's drop the myth that they are not. Also, I doubt IS give a flying **** what some hand-wringing teachers call them.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It up to the Arabic people who suffer most from DAESH to select a word that describes them best - That's why the millions of Arabs who oppose them prefer the acronym turned to a word 'daesh' which can roughly sound like 'daes' meaning approximately to trample or crush under foot.

For Arabs daesh is therefore a fictitious made up word appropriate for a fictitious concept that sums up Daesh neatly.

That's why we should use daesh - because DAESH dont want us to and its what their Arabic opponents use to insult them .

silvaran

This should be the prelude to every newspaper article and TV report on the subject.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.cracked.com/blog/isis-wants-us-to-invade-7-facts-revealed-by-their-magazine/

Scroll down to number 6 and you find...

The warriors of ISIS are proud to be terrorists and proud to be brutal. And learning this has made the Internet crusade to convince people to call them "Daesh" seem extra dumb.

Daesh is an acronym for the original name ISIS fought under before declaring their "caliphate" (a formal religious-led Islamic state) and, so the argument goes, they just hate it when you call them that. But from what I can tell, ISIS doesn't seem to care much about that themselves. On Page 38 of Issue 4, they note that some Westerners call them Daesh matter-of-factly, without seeming to care much about it either way. It's never brought up again and barely comes off as an annoyance within the context of the article.

"They even imitated the nusayriyyah and secularist opposition by labelling the Islamic State as 'Daesh' and 'Tandhim ad-Dawlah,' in a manner precisely mimicking the satellite channels and palace scholars of Al Salul and Qat ..."

Attention Internet: People who celebrate pictures of civilians they've killed as well as pictures of their own friend's murdered corpses don't give a **** what you call them. I've heard it said that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter. But the folks at ISIS don't consider "freedom" a good thing (they refer to themselves as "slaves of Allah" on virtually every page), and they are happy calling themselves "Soldiers of Terror" ...