1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

should we mark work done when we've been off ill?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Spayne1, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Do you know the law regarding marking the work done with supply teachers when we're away ill? Should it be marked as other pieces? Can we write 'supply' on it?
    Generally it's never as good as if done with the class teacher there. But if it's not marked, it perhaps establishes the idea that supply work is not important.
    If anyone knows the law and could put a link to it, I'd be grateful. Had a big heated discussion about it at school.
    Thanks

2. You must be primary, Roseangel! As secondary supply, we wouldn't mark
    Cx

3. And yes, if the work doesn't get marked, the children see it of lesser importance and therefore don't consider it worth doing.
    Cx

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

As secondary, I avoid leaving too much work that I'll have to mark unless it's something like a past paper done in timed conditions. If it needs marking, I wouldn't expect supply to mark it.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I usually use planned absense (courses, trips etc) as an opportunity to set work that I can mark and use as an assessment of leaning and understanding. Setting that sort of stuff when you are in the room is a waste of valuable teaching time.

6. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

You weren't there when the lesson was taught so I don't think you should mark it.

7. I doubt this is subject to legislation. If the supply teacher is there for any length of time, they are expected to assess work in order to continue to teach properly. If their marking is suspect, your head should advise you

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't think you can presume to speak for all Secondary teachers Cals. I have worked in Secondary for more than 20 years and although I have been fortunate enough not to have had a lot of illness, I certainly have marked any work in their books when I have come back.

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Sorry Cals - have just re-read your post and realise now that you are speaking as a supply teacher. Of course if you are only in for a couple of days you couldn't mark the work, only if you were on long-term supply.