1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should we just let Darwinism happen?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Oct 26, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

On the label of a tin of tuna just bought from the Co-op. Allergy Advice- Contains Fish!

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

If by "darwinism" you really mean "natural selection" (and they are not the same thing), then the answer would be yes.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

No thanks. I'd be dead.
    (But I do quite like the Darwin awards)

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

How about putting a four inch spike in the middle of every steering wheel and banning seatbelts?

6. impis

impis New commenter

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lest be honest. If you had a fish allegy or was cooking for someone who had and you didn't realise that a tin of tuna contains fish then in a natural world you would be too stupid to survive. The sort of person that when someone yelled 'Sabre Tooth Tiger' you would just stand there wondering why everyone else is running away!

A few years ago on a camping holiday in Spain the mother of an English family a couple of tents down came to speak with us. She had heard us talking in pigeon Spanish and wanted our help. Her child had a severe (life threatening) allergy to eggs. What she wanted was for us to translate the ingredients on the labels of the food she had bought from the local shop just in case they contained egg!

I would have thought that someone with a child who could die if given egg would have taken the trouble to find out what the Spanish for 'egg' was before coming on holiday or equiped herself with a dictionary!

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If you had a fish allergy or was cooking for someone who had and you didn't realise that a tin of tuna contains fish then you'd not be able to read the label either.

9. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I'm not sure which is worse: People not realising that there're nuts in that bag or that their small children might smoke on them. [​IMG]

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Kind of like the warning on over the counter sleeping remedies 'warning, might cause drowsiness'

11. impis

impis New commenter

Sadly, its not that people are too stupid not to realise - it's that we now live in a 'blame someone else' society, and unless the companies make these things clear, they fear being sued by dimwits with no common sense.
    They're just covering their own backs.