1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should we have a 'Depression' sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by GalaxyRider, Nov 22, 2011.

1. We have various sub-forums, pregnancy, workplace dilemmas, which are a bit 'niche'.
    Is it time for a 'Depression' sub-forum as well? Of the threads in Health, on the first page at the moment 0900, 22/11/11, of the 19 threads half or more have either 'depressed/ion' in the title or about being depressed in various ways.
    How about a sub-forum, with some robust evidence based links, some decent info about anti-depressants and links to mental health charities etc.
    Just to make it clear, I am not talking about a 'Depression Ghetto', just about giving the topic it's own space, like you have with pregnancy. Let's face it, more people on here seem to be depressed than pregnant!

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yes, I think a Depression sub-forum is a good idea too - do we just wait to see how many agree and then the TES mods open one or can we speed it up in another way?
    and (personally speaking) I have spent more time being depressed than I was pregnant with my babies!

3. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I think that if it were structured to be a positive place of support then a mental health forum could be a good idea.
    One idea that sprang to mind was that it could have a sticky thread at the top for people to post positive stories of how they have got through the tough times.
    When I was at the bottom this time last year hearing from people who had made it out of the other side helped me believe that I could survive no matter what path my life took.
    If TES don't fancy a separate forum maybe we could make better use of sticky threads for common requests on this one.