1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should we defund the police?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kandahar, Jul 9, 2020.

?

Should the police be defunded?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. no

26 vote(s)
    96.3%
  1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Thanks to Ms Robson for inspiring me to ask this question.

Simple yes or no, with options to debate.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I am amazed, given the apparent support fot BLM, that the score is not more along the lines of 4 - 4.

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I wouldn't want to second guess anyone but I have a feeling the BLM supporters have already decided your poll is racist and extreme Right so they wouldn't want to dignify it by participating. Just a hunch.

xmal likes this.
  4. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

One can support the cause that BLM came into existence to redress, namely the all too frequent deaths of Black men in the USA at the hands of the police (and others) which led to different protests in this country about other inequalities between different racial groups, without accepting the political demands that some who have attached themselves to this cause also demand.

The views expressed so eloquently by Michael Holding yesterday, for example, clearly struck a chord with many people. They did not include a demand for the defunding of the police. I would expect him to vote no, whilst supporting BLM as a cause strongly, in this poll. So I have done the same.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Thank you for your thoughts on this. That is indeed a possibility.

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I would hope not, but accept that seeing my heraldic sign might put some posters off engaging. I was simply wanting to see what the balance of support was like, and to encourage discussion.

7. xmal

xmal Established commenter

The BLM organisation is quite implicit about its goals from the start and pretending that the organisation's creators are actually people who have turned up and attached themselves to it shows how little you know about everything that has happened.

peter12171 and Kandahar like this.
  8. Symingtons

I expect I have as much knowledge about the motivation of many BLM supporters as most people commenting on it here. Do you really think the footballers or cricketers (just to take two groups in the news recently) support all the aims of those with extreme political beliefs? Or all those marching in the USA or here?

Many, probably most, support the aims of the movement in the widest sense. As I explained in my earlier post.

9. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

As usual most are hypocrites. Mostly virtue signallers, happy to take a knee and kiss a few feet but when it involves real sacrifice they are found wanting. Malcolm X called them "the white liberal".

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Do tell, kandahar. You know you want to.

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yeah, that’s what it must be.

13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

BLM supporters are white middle class virtue-signallers. Who knew.

That’s progress, Spoofy.

DrLinus and Kandahar like this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

What would you like me to tell you?

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes, I think so. It's interesting that there's only one vote to defund the police, yet it's apparent that many on this forum support BLM.

A discussion might be interesting.

16. Symingtons

It's not in the least surprising (or, I'd say, very interesting) - in fact I explained it earlier (see posts 4 & 8). ;)

Just because the explanation doesn't fit in with your prejudices, doesn't mean it's wrong. In fact your poll suggests it's correct.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You either support them, or you don't. Your explanation is weasal words.

18. Symingtons

Not at all. At the last General Election (as at every other election for the last 46 years) I made a decision as to who to vote for - in almost every case no party had a programme I agreed with 100%, so I looked for the best fit and which party I mostly agreed with even if I didn't agree with everything. It's the most commonsense, and most common, I suspect, way people decide these things (otherwise I would never be able to vote in a GE). The same is true with BLM - I agree with their basic views, but not all the demands some (I stress some) of their leaders and activists demand.

19. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

what aims of BLM do you agree with?

Kandahar likes this.
  20. WB

WB Lead commenter

I'm not sure what defunding the police would mean

I think the US the funding system is very different so the phrase might apply over there.

But in the UK what does defunding the police mean? Would it effectively be same as disbanding the police?

Other than letting me know the person calling for it is an idiot I'm pretty it's a meaningless phrase in UK.

Symingtons, DrLinus and alex_teccy like this.