1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Turkey Join EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Apart from the occasional and quickly muzzled dingbat I have seen very little racism in these campaigns.
    There has been a tendency towards xenophobia amongst a few but they were of the type who would do that anyway

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

How? brexit suggest that we only let in the people that we need. How does this match any of your descriptions?
    Cannons and flags are racist? How?

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Oops - sorry.

Try this link.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

They also bring up the issue of Turkey loudly, frequently and in an irresponsible manner.

Watch the video at this link.

5. Didactylos4

I might have guessed it would be a Garrison

Is he actually part of the Leave campaign?

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Here's an article discussing the cartoon.

His stuff is used by leave campaigns.

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You still haven't answered my question, what is the link between controlled imigration and racism. I accept that some who want brexit are racist - that doesn't make brexit racist.

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Did you look at the video I posted? It explains it far more eloquently than I could.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ironic considering you ignored my earlier question.

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

There is nothing there!

11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

which was?

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I assume that you meant the one about which race - if you had read what i said i answered it see above.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why not go back and read it?

14. Didactylos4

Only by the frothing fringe

15. Rogglesfargen

Rogglesfargen Occasional commenter

A meaningless and irrelevant comparison.

Among many others. All of which a British government has control over. Turkey in the EU, along with all other EU nationals, the government has no control over.

16. Rogglesfargen

Another meaningless and irrelevant comparison. Can we prosecute the pro-EU press for peddling all the lies and scare-mongering designed to keep us in?

17. Rogglesfargen

Can you prove this racist, ageist and classist accusation?

But you originally claimed that wanting to control immigration is racist.

Talking about what does or doesn't go on in America has nothing to do with Brexit. It's just another irrelevant link you are trying to make.

Exactly.

You were being asked what you meant by racism. Having no answer you resort to looking it up in a dictionary. If you knew what you meant and were able to explain your use of the word you would not need to look it up in a dictionary. You just simply don't know, do you? And it is as the OP said, just a convenient label to use because you disagree that mass immigration needs to be controlled.

Does that mean the cannon and the flag are not racist now that you have been asked exactly how they are racist?

How does a sinking ship with an EU flag and another ship sailing away under a British flag equal racist? Can you explain because I'm really baffled?

Turkey is brought up because it is currently a very pressing matter to the whole of Europe. Does just talking about a serious issue automatically equate with racism in your view? As for an irresponsible manner, this is your opinion, very few other people's. Given your necessity of resorting to a dictionary to quote what you mean by racism, it doesn't appear that you know what you mean by 'irresponsible manner' either.

I watched it but am none the wiser as to how someone's opinion on American elections show the Brexit campaign to be racist as you claim. This is yet another attempt to make a link which simply isn't there.

I looked at that as well. Did you get your idea to make a false link from the article?

No it doesn't. A false link is being made.

Just as you think the dictionary did?

That's enough for some to use the convenient label of racist for disagreeing that mass immigration needs to be controlled.

18. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Thank you. Seems to be par for the course for Garrison.

19. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

A house brick could hence the video.

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Others seem able to, but if not, I can email you the link.
    It's about modern electioneering techniques, and their impacts.

Google 'dog whistle politics' and you can find many different videos, articles and even a wikipedia page discussing the phenomenon. 21st century racism, at least the kind we find in the west, doesn't resemble the early 20th century kind. The holocaust, other genocides and apartheid all made that pretty much unacceptable. It doesn't mean that the sentiment or its effects have gone away, however. Farage and UKIP are masters of these techniques, and have been using them very effectively. Watch the video, then look closely at many of the Brexit posters and campaign banners, and you'll see it. Not everything that Brexit talks about is racism, but their most effective talking points have been. Brexit will happen, and it will happen largely with the help of these techniques.