1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Turkey Join EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

That's good, shall we leave NATO too as Turkey can do whatever it likes. Or should Turkey leave NATO because it can do whatever it likes?

2. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Which EU politicians want Turkey in the EU anyway, apart from Mr Cameron?
    Surely if Britain leaves then that's the end of Turkey's membership application.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Should it? Will it? Not this side of 2025. 2030. The twelfth of never.

It took Croatia, Poland and Hungary 10 years to complete the process and Turkey is a far more controversial would-be member. Turkey applied to join what was then the European Economic Community in 1987. It then waited 10 years to be declared "eligible" for accession talks, which finally started in October 2005.

Progress on the technical talks has been demonstrably slow, but more significantly there is no sign of momentum within the EU to bring Turkey in. With populist parties doing well in several countries and fears about migration dominating politics across the EU, leaders are not trumpeting Turkey's case for membership. On 16 March, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Turkey's bid to join the EU was "really not on the agenda now".

Nigel Farage is right to say Turkey is lined up to join the EU one day. But the European Commission has said no new country will join within the next five years. And despite the EU's need for Ankara's help now and the sweeteners on offer, Turkey's membership of the EU could be at least another decade away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35832035

4. Rogglesfargen

Rogglesfargen Occasional commenter

It;s the first step on the road.

5. Rogglesfargen

Rogglesfargen Occasional commenter

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

In the same way that a quick jaunt up the A1 from London means you want to go to John O'Groats.

Incidentally, Mexico, Canada, the US and Taiwan citizens have visa free travel to the UK, and have had for years (amongst a long list of other nonEU countries.) They have no right to live and work in the UK.

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If you can prosecute cigarette companies retrospectively for slowly killing you, while pretending that there is nothing wrong with smoking, do you think we'll be able to do the same to the Brexit press for peddling known lies once we leave and our economy goes through the floor?

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nope
    Any more than we could prosecute the Remain side if we vote remain and the EU goes belly up
    It will be a democratic decision reached by the electorate

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Ignorance and xenophobia are the cornerstones of the Brexit campaign.

The people making the decision to leave generally are the least educated, the oldest and the most racist. (and the most English).

Hardly meets the requirements for a democratic decision.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. graysonandtheargersnorts

graysonandtheargersnorts New commenter

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Well you would think that wouldn't you
    Aren't generalisations wonderful.....

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

what do you mean by this- I keep seeing comments about Brexiters being racist, but controlling imigation isn't racist per se - please explain exactly why you think it is. asked before with no explanation.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, but it DOES.

I didn't work hard and pay taxes for 35 years to have my democratic right to be an aged racist rescinded! Pah!

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Can you see anything racist in this Brexit cartoon?

[​IMG]

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No its not there - but pleawe explain - i will ask you again - how do wanting to control imigation and being racist. I really don't believe that you actually understand the meaning of the term racist. i haven't argued this but it could be argued that giving EU magrants priority over none EU migrants is racist - but as i understand what racism means I won't - I don't believe that you actually understand what it means, but just use it as a convenient meaning less label.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Which 'race' is that policy being against then?

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Wanting to have controls on immigration isn't necessarily racist per se. It is often, however, used in dog whistle politics. It's something the republicans in the US have been using for the past 8 years to good affect against Obama.
    Regarding the picture, I would say there are a few images there that would fall into this category. The cannon being the most notable one, with the flag coming a close second.

18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You are still avoiding the question, what is racism - you keep making accusations, but then skirt around what it means. I have still got the same conclusion, that you don't actually know, but it is a convenient label to use.

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

"The Concise Oxford Dictionary defines racism as. '1 a a belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this. b antagonism towards, or discrimination against other races, esp. as a result of this. 2 the theory that human abilities etc. are determined by race.'"

I would say that definition 1b is the most relevant in this case, although 1a may also play a role with some.

20. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I don't know about anyone else but Wanet says s/he can't see the picture. Neither can I - there's nothing there. Just a blue square with a question mark in it on my screen.

lanokia likes this.