1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Turkey Join EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Absolutely! It was meant to be pathetic. It was an ironic joke aimed at those (not you, by the way) who cry 'Racism!' at anything and everything they possibly can, even when none is present, just to show how pathetic and stupid the accusation really is. They know who they are!

I meant no offence to you personally so I apologise if any was caused.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It reminded me of the arguments for. I've heard nothing but the scary antis for so-long now.

I still don't think that they are ready yet, although it is something I would like to see in the long term.

4. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Correct. One of his delightful, one-dimensional threads was removed this morning so he's in a sulk.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Accepted..

I know some of my attempts at humour haven't always come across on here. And I've misinterpreted other peoples at time.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35850625

A suicide bomb attack at a busy shopping area in the Turkish city of Istanbul has killed at least five people, officials say.

Two Israelis, two Americans and an Iranian are said to have died. Another 36 people were injured in the blast near a government building.

No-one has admitted carrying out the attack, the latest in recent months.

The Turkish government has blamed Kurdish militants for previous attacks and has retaliated against them.

Saturday's attack on Istiklal Street in Istanbul, Turkey's largest city, occurred at about 11:00 local time (09:00 GMT).

Uwes Shehadeh was some 500m (1,640ft) away when he heard "a horrific and horrible noise".

Reap what you sow much?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

I think I will wait to vote until 24/6/16.

If we are still in the 'club', I would vote 'NO'.

If the opinion polls are not as inaccurate as for the General Election (and I assume they aren't - with just a 'Yes' or a 'No' to pump into the algoriths) Brexit will prevail. In which case I would vote 'Yes' on the Turkey issue, or if it's added 'don't care!'

Gut feeling, Turkey won't get a chance to join the EU, because before they meet the 'criteria' it will have imploded - (the EU, not Turkey!)

9. Rogglesfargen

Rogglesfargen Occasional commenter

Meanwhile, earlier this year

Turkey

Serbia

Macedonia

10. Rogglesfargen

Turkey Visa Free Travel to Avoid Erdogan Flooding Europe

A leaked diplomatic cable has revealed that Merkel is on the point of caving in to Turkish demands for visa free travel.

Sir Sebastian Wood said in the cable that Erdogan is ready to "open the floodgates" unless he gets his way and commented on the view that Erdogan is"an authoritarian bully who is trying to blackmail Europe.”

Sir Sebastian said

“Merkel has begun to paint the deal in humanitarian terms, (pointing out that since it came into force, only 9 people have drowned), to pre-empt human rights opposition. Officials here have shown some interest, behind the scenes, about possible compromise formulations on the anti-terror law."

He was told by Merkel's Europe adviser that they would be ready to delay a "major escalation crisis" before Britian's referendum.

But a second leaked cable from the British ambassador to Turkey warned:

“If visa liberalisation doesn’t happen, an impetuous and riled Erdogan – prone to come out fighting when he feels ‘betrayed’ – could carry through his threat to ‘open the flood gates’ to Europe for migrants.”

“We might usefully ensure Member States realise the implications in migration terms of snubbing Turkey on visa liberalisation.”

Needless to say the government have attempted to play down the warnings in the cables.

Yawn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-to-turkish-pressure-on-visas-british-diplom/

11. Rogglesfargen

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

a) Visa free travel is not a right to work, or live in a country.

b) Nor is it a guaranteed right to movement. Individuals can still be blocked from entering and/or deported if wanted.

c) It isn't to be extended to the UK. Just to Schengen (which Switzerland, Iceland and Norway are all part of. They have no say on whether this happens.)

d) Turkey has a snowball's chance in hell of getting into the EU. The Brexit politicians know this full well.

sabrinakat and Geoff Thomas like this.
  13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I suspect that deals have already been done on this. Noone will tell us until it is too late.

14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Deals on what? Turkey joining the EU? As I said before - not a chance that it will ever happen.

15. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Willing to stake your life on it?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Turkey won't join the EU with the present administration [and it's desire to annoy the Germans].

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I would happily stake a lot of money on it, yes.

Back in the day I used to work in an International School in Turkey where a significant number of British diplomats sent their kids. We also had diplomats' kids from a range of other EU and non-EU countries. As part of the expat community, you are invited to a wide range of functions which involve drinking. When asked about when Turkey would join, the usual reply was, "When pigs fly." That was in the days when Erdogan was still considered a democratic leader.

I like Turkey, and personally would like to see it join one day. However, it is an open secret that Turkey has absolutely no chance of joining in the near or medium future. Erdogan himself has admitted it. Maybe in a generation or so . .

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Turkey can do whatever it likes as long as we are not in the EU

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We saw them off at Malta.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter