1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Turkey Join EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Only if they join, which will never happen.

2. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

No. Turkey is decades away from being a member state.
    Great Britain is the only major EU state that has consistently advocated for Turkey joining the EU. France has been on-off, Sarkozy was against, Hollande warmer. Germany against. A few years ago David Cameron was angry that Turkey's application was being unreasonably delayed by Berlin and Paris and Cameron wanted Turkey at the heart of Europe.
    The British always moan about the EU, but it has always been the British government that has advocated for EU enlargement to the East, the Baltic and Turkey. Precisely the parts of Europe that the British people have, quite reasonably, the biggest concerns about.

3. nadstretcher

nadstretcher New commenter

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed, which is this once in a lifetime chance to remind them they serve us, not we serve them, must be taken seriously. I think even yaysayers when getting beyond personal arguments and concentrating solely on trade and money, will agree the EU project is about political union and that more and more power is and will be handed to it.

The essence of ignoring the will of the people and doing as you wish politically (in your example) has been the soul of the EU for every nation since they joined.

While I agree Turkey is not making enough EU friends at the moment, what we do know is a yes vote effectively gives them a British backing to join even though most people here would not want that. Or maybe they would - but one thing is for certain, they (the people) will not be asked or get any say once a yes is home.

We must look at what has happened since we joined what we thought was a simple trade union in the 70s. Membership has ballooned, more and more political union - all without proper consent of the people. Indeed, when asked they have often voted no - ignored.

A yes goes far beyond the next few months and trade deals. We were not asked for consent the last 40 years and that was on a union of trade vote. Vote yes this time and it will be read as another generation or two of rights to do as they please with a political union.

grumpydogwoman and T34 like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Well said.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2016
  7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Cameron went further than that he said that many people who opposed Turkey's application had an irrational fear of islam. he laso said he 'would fight' for Turkey to join the EU.

Of course Cameron said all that because the White House told him to.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They can be bribed.

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That would be one hell of a bribe. One that I'm not sure that the EU, or even the US, would want to pay what it would take. Getting the Cypriots to agree to Turkish membership of the EU would be as difficult as asking the Falkland Islanders to agree to Argentine nationality. I really don't see either happening. Dear lord, they still refer to Istanbul as Constantinople!

Who would bribe / convince them? The French - no. The Germans - no. The Italians or Spanish - not a chance. Their only real friend in the EU was the UK, and that would be you!

And that would be in the normal course of events, before Syria and Erdogan's latest set of tricks. As things stand, it will take at least another decade or two before Turkey's membership will be seriously considered.

10. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Uh oh. Vladimir is being nasty again.

lanokia likes this.
  11. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I hope you are right, Germany seems to be an obstacle according to the Daily Politics programme today.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

They take it in turns. And what the Western European nations feel about the issue pales in comparison to how the eastern / south-eastern countries feel about it.

Remember - Vlad the Impaler aka Dracula got his moniker from impaling Turks. His modern-day contemporaries generally consider him a hero.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I suppose a more important question might be, do we need another country joining the EU and further exacerbating the economic and migrant situation?

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Think of the upsides...
    Yogurt!
    upload_2016-3-9_12-59-35.jpeg
    Kebabs!
    upload_2016-3-9_13-0-9.jpeg
    Janissaries!
    upload_2016-3-9_12-58-51.jpeg

And, uh, that's about it...

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Things are changing. Turkey has to make changes to be accepted and they might leave Cyprus to do that. Reducing the financial pressures on the others would help as well and any influx of Turkish people wouldn't stop at the Balkans. The EU wants to expand which suits USA since the EU is not really an economic competitor; that's the Asian countries. I really doubt the ability of our political overlords to do rational thinking instead of vanity.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Sending any more refugees who make it to Greece back to Turkey so that Greece and the EU don't have to deal with them. Greece is a mess and hence not in a position to refuse bribes.

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

He got his moniker from impaling his own peasants, not Turks.

The Project Fear idea was that if Vlad could do such despicable things to his own people then the Turks would be put off invading his country.

ISIS and the lack of Western and Arab boots on the ground to fight them shows how successful Vlad's military strategy was .

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I can see a huge appeal in having a large Reception Centre for Refugees in SE "Europe". You may call it Turkey if you wish.

I think the convenience of such an arrangement could prove very seductive. So their leader is a little over-enthusiastic? A mere detail.