1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Turkey Join EU?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 8, 2016.

?

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

90.0%
  1. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Teachers often complain about agencies driving down wages. For agricultural work were there are large numbers of employees there are gang masters who decide who works and what they pay, after taking their cut. agenies probably modelled on these gang masters. The point is that many gang masters are now imigrants, so who gets the jobs. i agree about people being moved to jobs or jobs being moved to area of high unemployment, but neither seem to happen. one issue about moving for the unemployed is the lack of council or other suitable housing - putting that back could help solve it. But in many areas there is still a high level of unemployment. Surprising that often imigrant are housed in these areas as well - this makes little sense as there is already a shortage of employment - but housing is cheap.

Rogglesfargen likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

With the greatest respect, BP your statistics posted in #180 are govt propaganda and as such are complete and utter rowlocks.

:D

3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yes of course they are. :rolleyes:

The tooth fairy is the only credible source?

4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

But surely it's not the desperate immigrant's fault that wages are low. You can't argue that they are stealing jobs when those very jobs are so underpaid and those working in them so mistreated that anyone with a choice doesn't want to do them. It makes no sense. These people are being exploited and then blamed for it.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But there are people who want them, but are locked out, or cannot afford to live in the area. If gang masters are effectively deciding who gets employed then local workers who might want a job are not getting them. this has opperated for some time in many areas.

Rogglesfargen and Ivor Novello like this.
  6. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

The poster whose Eastern European wife is studying to be an accountant, why doesn't she just get a job in civil engineering instead of doing accountancy? She's already qualified for a good job. What's the point of going through all that accountancy headache. She could be earning £25k already as a c ivil engineer. And about jobs. A lot of jobs advertised are agencies and you are on agencies' books which have absolutely no guarantees. You're not protected from being fired anytime the employer wants. I don't like agencies. They charge a lot to the employer and offer very little to the worker. like minimum wages. It's about time minimum wages were £12 per hour or something decent like that so you can at least make £100 per day.

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

But surely its the gang master's fault for giving jobs to those who have no choice but to accept poor wages and conditions. The blame here should lie firmly with those who are exploiting the situation, not the workers who are powerless.

8. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yet immigrants can afford to live in the area? It's not 'gang masters' ... it's employers... Morrisons saw British works 90% walking off the job in the first week [my wife's experience] so they turned to people who wanted the jobs, who were hardworking and who were reliable...

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree that it is the employers who want the cheap labour, but they use gangmaster to do so, any are imigrants. the nationality of those exploited / used in this way has changed over time, this is not a new issue.
    Employers argue that they need theseworks, but what they really mean is that they want cheap workers.
    migrants are put into cheap housing, many to one room. In an area were this is common doctors have to deal with whole families who get respiratory problems due to living in these conditions. Probably less British people are willing to accept these conditions.

Rogglesfargen likes this.
  11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I guess that's why everyone is ignoring them?

I used to lodge with a couple, he had trained as a carpenter, but the only job he could get was installing kitchens, he spent time at weekends doing up his own home. So in between complaining about there being no demand for skilled carpenters he would dash down to Do It All to buy cheap knock off doors, cabinets etc.
    I wonder why there was no demand for carpenters?

Out of interest, any chance of you telling us how many of these people there are working under these gang-masters? For some reason I suspect that when talking about the numbers of jobs that stand to be lost, the number of migrants working in the UK and the size of the UK work force it's going to be minute.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You do know what happened to Cassandra ?

Obviously not our Cassandra who is lovely and still with us

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Haven't a clue on the numbers - i suspect that no one has.