1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should those whom make accusations of sexual abuse or rape be named?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Dec 16, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Sorry is not good enough when in the case of the young man who was falsely accused of rape had his case thrown out within minutes. the police had with held crucial evidence showing that the alleged victim had begged for sex via texts - over 40.000!

The prosecution had refuse to hand over evidence as they said that it was not relevant! This is nothing to do with the reduction in police numbers at all - just the desire for a conviction from my perspective.

This young man has had his reputation tarnished, his education interrupted and his life in taters. Yet, the person who made this false accusation maintains their anonymity - they should be named.

les25paul and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

...and yet you want victims of sexual assault and rape to face consequences rather than the police.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would be happy if those who make FALSE ACCUSATIONS OF RAPE to face legal consequences. Publication of their names and jail.

The only victim in the incident outlined above is the man who was falsely accused.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Perjury is still a crime, right?

6. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

Those who accuse others of rape or other sexual assault should have their anonymity guaranteed both in court and in perpetuity if a guilt verdict is subsequently reached. The accused's anonymity should be preserved until the verdict of the trial is secured. In the case of a guilty verdict, their names should be made public. Similarly, anyone who makes an accusation of rape which is subsequently found to have been fabricated and malicious should no longer have their anonymity protected. In the case of a not guilty verdict arrived at on the balance of evidence, but accuser and defendant should remain anonymous if that is their wish.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Certainly before a trial, either both or neither should be named. Details can be revealed after a verdict.

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Anyone who is found to have made false accusations against another becomes a criminal ;and criminals should be named, shamed and prosecuted. Sometimes this is hard to prove, but in this case there was ample evidence I believe.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

One would presume that if that is the case and there is ample evidence the cps should be prosecuting her for wasting police time at least. If there isn't enough evidence then she should be treated as innocent until proven guilty too.

frangipani123 likes this.
  10. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

He said she said. Never a convincing court case.

elledriver likes this.
  11. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

You clearly have not read my comments properly. In cases such as this, where the accusation was clearly false. Did I sy that the police should not be sanctioned?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  12. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

From what I saw on the TV the prosecution were as livid about this as the the defence and offered no evidence immediately these texts came to light.

This seems to have been a case of the Police not acting correctly rather than the CPS who felt they had been put in an untenable position.

The justification for making the accused name public is that it gives other victims the chance to come forward. This process, however, produces a massively destructive weapon which has been used by certain people. I think this needs to be stopped.

Any accusation needs to be taken seriously and investigated rigorously but it also needs to be borne in mind that some accusations are completely dishonest and vindictive so a balance of victims rights and accused right needs to be adopted.

Regardless of the offence, the dictum "innocent until proven guilty" is sacrosanct.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes. Perjury is still a crime. This is assuming the case reaches court. However, an alleged perpetrator can be named once charged. The CPS may decide that there is insufficient evidence for a case, but the alleged perpetrator still has their name in the public domain.

14. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

It is the cps who decide if a prosecution takes place - to do this the CPS had all the evidence yet still decided to prosecute - the situation only came into public view when the cps changed prosecutors at the last minute and the new one wanted to see the evidence.

nomad likes this.
  15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I agree strongly with this. It would seem fairer for neither to be named until after the verdict.

delmamerchant, Laphroig and lanokia like this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

People do get prosecuted for false allegations and for wasting police time. In this case, the police clearly failed to their job and should also face consequences.

Not every case which doesn't come to court is a false allegation. If my house is robbed, there may not be enough evidence to convict the robber but the crime still took place.

As I said on the other thread, without knowing the details of the text messages there's no way to know if this was a false allegation or simply that the text messages make it unlikely to bring a conviction. I will say again that consent can be withdrawn.

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

No, but despite identifying them as at fault you didn't say they should be and chose instead to state that anonymity for rape victims should be lifted. If you wanted to be clear that the police should also face consequence you could simply have clarified rather than writing the above response which is rather confrontational.

18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Spot on!

delmamerchant and nomad like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A rape trial against a student spectacularly collapsed after texts emerged from the alleged victim in which she told a friend the sex 'wasn't against my will'.

[​IMG]

In the texts, the alleged victim asked for more sex after the attack was said to have taken place

(From the Daily Mail)

Are you suggesting that consent can be withdrawn after the event?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    EmanuelShadrack and Vince_Ulam like this.
  20. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Only if there is evidence of something being stolen. Robbery is not a matter of opinion.

nomad likes this.