1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should there be a member of SMT on site?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by jennyw76, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Ah right, thank you. Just wanted some clarification on the matter as it hadn't happened before. We were told be a previous head that there should always be a member of SMT on site. There was a lot of talk about insurance and responsibility if an incident had occured.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've never seen an insurance policy mention who should be around at any specific time - how would this prevent an accident or whatever from happening?
    As long as the head has left clear instructions about who to contact, I can see no problem with it.

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

At my previous school the SMT used to go once a term for a big meeting at one of their houses, to have less distractions from work. Office staff knew which one and how to contact them if the need arose. It did in fact once arise and we contacted them and one of them was back on site within 15 min after having given advice over the phone for the short term dealing of the problem. The year leaders used to be on a rota of who was 'in charge' in the absence of all SMT,