1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should the school year end in June?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Richard24601, Jul 10, 2018.

?

Should the school year end in June?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Richard24601

Richard24601 New commenter

I trained in Northern Ireland but I am currently working in England and I must admit, it makes more sense to end the term at the end of June rather than prolong it unnecessarily into July. Northern Ireland schools have been off for almost two weeks now while the English ones are still slogging toward the finish line. Exams are done and for the most part data has been uploaded yet teachers as well as students are still expected to give their all right up to the end- is this fair? I am aware than some schools run transition periods for their students but realistically, any work created at this point will have to be revised come September as the young people have six weeks to relax after this.
    Students and teachers alike seem truly exhausted but are still diligently trying to make it to the end of next week but surely a longer holiday would give everyone a chance to fully recharge their batteries. Northern Irish Schools finish three weeks earlier than English ones yet start back at roughly the same time - is there correlation between this and the fact that Northern Ireland seems to be consistently highest in GCSE results throughout the UK?
    I just think it is important that everyone, both students and teachers are given the chance to truly relax and switch off and the end of the external exams should mark the end of term for everyone. If teachers were given more time for recuperation during the summer then perhaps it may ebb the flow of teachers who are regrettably leaving the profession.

2. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

We get 13 weeks of holiday. That's 91 days to everyone else's 28. That's a hefty holiday allowance, why do we need even more?

Holidays should be utilised for planning, resourcing, CPD, etc. so that we're not running 12 hour work days during term time. It shouldn't really be 6 weeks of relaxing.

Plus, the last few weeks are usually where we fit in the more fun stuff- art, music, drama, extra PE - all the stuff that gets pushed aside during the year.

celago22 likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You have some support from me - but with some other points too. I worked in an independent which did a 6-day week and ended in very early July. That way we got as many teaching days in, but finished earlier. Made sense.
    But if you want to end the term at the end of June, you'll need to start in mid August (as in Scotland) or to trim the already short Christmas and Easter breaks; and neither of those changes is appealing.
    And a historical note - in the bad old days of O Levels the exam season didn't start until later in June and ran into July - which would better match the current term dates.

phlogiston and jarndyce like this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I work at an international school and we get 19 weeks holiday each year. We finish early june, but are back in August. I must say i really do prefer it this way.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Sorry that should say 18 weeks...fat fingers on a small keyboard

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I can see that going down really well with parents - 'what, teachers want more holidays?'.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I think the OP's idea was to move the holidays, not increase them.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed they were. I remember being able to watch Wimbledon because if we didn't have exams we were certainly on study leave.

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I don’t think so:

“surely a longer holiday would give everyone a chance to fully recharge”
    “Northern Irish Schools finish three weeks earlier than English ones yet start back at roughly the same time”
    and
    “If teachers were given more time for recuperation during the summer”

suggest otherwise.

10. ralphee11

ralphee11 New commenter

I definitely think it should be June.

As soon as SATs and GCSE's are over let's face it, there's not A LOT of learning going on. Yes we still continue to teach but the kids are just as tired as we are, they know their exams are over and they start to slack off a bit. Why not finish a little earlier and let them celebrate the end of their tests properly!

11. ralphee11

ralphee11 New commenter

However - they don't need any longer! June - August. That's enough for everyone.

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We finished end of June (independent) :):D:p

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. bishbashbosh3

bishbashbosh3 New commenter

Without having personally looked at it in detail yet, the perceived wisdom within my network of academics is that the longer breaks are bad for learners. More breaks in the school year of longer duration would be expected to improve learning outcomes. And from my perspective I would rather have more holidays of three or four weeks

Lara mfl 05 likes this.