1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should the Government be handing out high doses of Vitamin D NOW?

Discussion in 'News' started by topquark, Mar 26, 2020.

1. topquark

topquark New commenter

An article (see link below)

https://clinmedjournals.org/article...ases-and-epidemiology-jide-3-030.php?jid=jide

details a 2017 US study on how important vitamin D is in protecting us from viral respiratory tract infections. This study, based on 90 individuals found that

''infants with 25-OH vitamin D levels < 30 ng/mL suffered from more severe viral respiratory infections according to several objective measures when compared to those infants with sufficient levels''

and

''Pathophysiological evidence has been mounting that a sufficient level of 25-OH vitamin D is needed to protect against severe RSV and other viral respiratory tract infections.''

I am not an expert and maybe I'm stating the obvious, but could this partly explain the different pathway of the coronavirus in different parts of the world? Nearing the end of a cold, dark winter our levels of vitamin D are going to be at their lowest. If we mass administer this, it may counteract the fact that we are unable to go out in the sunshine right now.

''Conversion of vitamin D to the active form in humans begins with vitamin D3 production in the skin upon exposure to sunlight. Given the effects of vitamin D on immunity, it is plausible that the seasonality of ARI (acute respiratory infections) may be driven in part by periods of active vitamin D insufficiency during the winter and early spring months attributable to lower rates of skin conversion to D3.''

Thoughts ?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I definitely think cheap vitamin D should be available to every shopper, but you do have to be a bit careful as it is dangerous in overdoses

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. If people are self isolating at home they won't be getting vitamin D from being out in the sunlight.

If this becomes widely known we will have panic buying and stockpiling of vitamin D tablets.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The nhs has long since suggested vitamin d supplementation during winter months
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

But beware vitamin d toxicity can have serious ieffects
    The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Symptoms might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...xpert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

viramin d is widely available (including supermarkets) at around £3 per 3 months supply
    ( last time I bought them)
    and, I think, are available free for some

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  5. lizziescat

It is. Approx £3 for 90 (1 per day) tablets

agathamorse likes this.
  6. topquark

topquark New commenter

I teach science. I know this. But even if I didn't, if you read the packet, it says,''One a day.''

Does the general population know the information about the relationship between vit D and incidence of ARIs ? Vitamin D is mostly associated with the maintenance of a healthy skeleton. If you read the actual article, it says that there are very few studies of its link to the prevention of viral respiratory system infections. Does the general population (and I mean millions of people) worry that they may need to raise their levels of vitamin D during a long dark winter in case they get viral pneumonia? I doubt it.

The main drive of my post was to try to make some sense of the differences in the coronavirus pathways in countries where the majority of the population are exposed to sunlight 12 months a year. If you look very carefully at the recovery statistics, there are some very big geographical differences.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  7. topquark

topquark New commenter

Yep, I've looked at the NHS website. It only advises people to take vit D supplements in order to avoid rickets. There is absolutely no mention of viruses, RSVs or any immunological reason to take vit D supplements - and this is exactly the point I am trying to convey.

8. lizziescat

You asked for thoughts.
    I thought I’d share NHS and Mayo clinic’s information.
    I was responding to the thread as a whole, which includes other comments
    Problem?
    As my post mentioned in response to Corvuscorax ( if you read it)
    But I thought it worth a warning in case anyone, passing by, felt a a higher dose might be even more beneficial. (as has happened in different contexts.)
    I was going to find another article suggesting the possibility of Vit D boosting the immune system.
    (I won’t bother wasting my time to find it though- given the unnecessarily aggressive response it'll get)

9. lizziescat

I didn’t say it did.

10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I prefer to simulate a healthy diet by randomly having one of the following: vitamin C, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Iron, zinc, multivitamin. I would never (unless told to by a doctor) take the same supplement every day because body chemistry might adjust to having extra as the norm.

needabreak likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes people should take a Vitamin D supplement every day as advised by NHS (linked earlier.

There's no reason the government should give it away free - it's not expensive or hard to find.

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  12. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

That's why you should take vitamin D3 with vitamin K2. The K2 takes the calcium out of the blood and puts it in the bones instead of depositing it in the arteries. I've been taking a single one a day tablet of combined D3 and K2 for many years. Buy a year's supply on Ebay - very cheap.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think we will all end up deficient, or more deficient, staying inside for weeks

agathamorse and topquark like this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The number of people I've seen outside in the last few days of beautiful suuny weather should have replenished Vit D levels in many people in a natural way.

needabreak likes this.
  15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I had my blood tested last July and was found to have very low levels of vit D . Thing is I didn't get the letter telling me I had low levels until September and then forgot all about it until November after I had pneumonia. .
    I take the pharmacy formula recommmended to me by my GP .
    People with skin that tans easily doesn't absorb vit D as easily as fair haired people do and so they are more likely to end up deficient and low .
    Vit D does more than bones it does boost the immune system and help the body fight inflammation in connnectiove tissue which is where the suggestion for aiding a respiratory virus comes in . There is more research to be done of course .
    Vit D cannot be fulfilled by food alone as it is not absorbed well in the gut so the sun in the summer is good as the skin absorbs the sun light and then it's processed in the liver .So that's why a supplement in the winter is helpful .
    Also sunbathing all day out in the sun isn't the right way to obtain sufficient levels of vit D . The body via the skin monitors levels and will shut down when it has had enough to prevent an overdose .
    I'm on a fb group who are informative but can be in my opinion a little over the top and I pick my articles with care but that said we should always check sources and weigh and discern the articles we read shouldn't we.

16. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

Very interesting - thank you for sharing. Two servings per week of oily fish should also help with increasing serum Vitamin D levels. See also "Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory infections: individual participant data meta-analysis". https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30675873

17. topquark

topquark New commenter

Yes I agree and they are not going to stop the exponential infection rate increases in the UK.

Moreover, millions of vulnerable elderly british citizens are in a total lockdown. A large percentage will have spent the last few months, probably mostly indoors during a cold, dark winter with their vit D levels already low. Yes, the NHS does warn you to prevent deficiency, but only to maintain a healthy skeleton. The original article clearly shows that people with sufficiently high levels of vit D have a much better fighting chance against VIRAL RESPIRATORY DISEASES. And who wouldn't prefer to have a better fighting chance right now ?

Here is the original article, I was very surprised when I read it, because it may partially explain why the recovery rates are so vastly different across the globe (Norsemaid's info backs up the idea that people who have been out in the sunshine for the last 3 months will have good levels of vit D - if they are elderly, then their fighting chance is elevated):

https://clinmedjournals.org/article...ases-and-epidemiology-jide-3-030.php?jid=jide

It is an article from the Journal of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology and is written by US scientists in research institutions, with a total of 25 cited references. Luckily, it is open access.

18. topquark

topquark New commenter

Great article, thank you. Difficult to decipher the abstract's stats without looking at the full paper. It looks like a summary from 25 previous studies with a grand total of 11,321 participants. It is published by US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health with a big participation from the Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London.

One thing is clear though:

''Vitamin D supplementation was safe, and it protected against ARIs overall. Very deficient individuals ................... experienced the benefit.

(ARI = acute respiratory infections)

I am amazed why this info is not being published in the wider public domain. Instead we have celebrity workouts, toilet rolls and memes.

Elderly people in sunny climates are probably not aware that they have afforded themselves a greater fighting chance to survive coronavirus.

19. topquark

topquark New commenter

20. hubcap

hubcap New commenter