1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should the EYFS be extended to Year One?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lea_g88, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm currently completing a dissertation on the transition from Reception to Year One and the importance of play and would like to gain some opinions on whether the EYFS should be extended to Year One? And should formal learning begin when children reach the age of six, similar to other countries? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Leanne

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm currently completing a dissertation on the transition from Reception to Year One and the importance of play and would like to gain some opinions on whether the EYFS should be extended to Year One? And should formal learning begin when children reach the age of six, similar to other countries? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Leanne

3. Additionally, I'd be grateful for any suggestions of recent literature regarding this topic other than the Cambridge Primary Review. Thank you.

4. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

No idea about reading but I believe that NO it should not be extended!! Or if it should, there should be a better assessment system to ease the transition as early learning goals do not match up with nc levels!! NIghtmare!!!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In my school it already is. Year 1 follow the same sort of group teaching and free play right up until Easter and then start to move towards a more group teaching and independent work model. In year 2 we start with group teaching and independent play based work and gradually move towards whole class work.

Last year this started in year 1 with excellent results and this is the first time we have moved it to year 2, also with so far excellent results.

Year 1 use ELG until Christmas and then move to NC levels, keeping ELGs for the least able. Then at Easter move to NC levels and P scales. They do find it tricky, but worth it.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you read the new Statutory Framework for EYFS?
    "As children grow older, and as their development allows, it is expected that the balance will gradually shift towards more activities led by adults, to help children prepare for more formal learning, ready for Year 1."
    expectations are changing
    and of course there will be a new profile in the autumn