1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should TES resources be free?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Tigs85, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Should resources on the TES be

1. Free

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Paid

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Tigs85

Tigs85 New commenter

Hi,

I've been posting on the TES ad-hoc for a few years. I'm a lead teacher of PSHCE and find that I use TES resources to gain ideas for my own teaching. I've only recently started putting a price on them, being told that this is the fair thing to do. I'm wanting others people's views. Should there be more good quality, free resources? I spend a lot of time planning and preparing the lessons, but feel as I use other resources too, perhaps this is just me giving back to the community?

2. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

This is a tricky one. As a teacher I resent having to pay too much out of my own pocket to support my work. I am therefore reluctant to pay for resources and instead will create my own. This being said if a teacher has put the work in to produce a good resource and it saves me time it might be worth the money. The problem is that many of the resources are ripped off from other places or available on the web elsewhere for free. Some teachers are using selling others resources to cash in.

My personal opinion is that if your resources are really unique and good quality then it might be worth charging a small amount. I share my resources with colleagues for free - but they have come from years of magpie-ing other resources so it would not be right for me to sell them as I cannot be sure exactly which bits are unique. I do not ever pay for resources unless the school funds it - so I probably wouldn't look at yours unless they were cheaply priced and had good reviews.

Sorry, not fully answered you question.

3. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

TES have said that 95% of the resources that are downloaded are for free resources however without the commission they make from the 5% of downloads that are paid for, they could not offer those free resources as it costs too much to host a site like this. If you want the free resources to still be available then it is essential that the premium resources are too. All those people who complain about premium resources would no doubt shout a heck of a lot louder if the free resources were removed as the site was not financially viable.

Nobody is forcing people to pay, they have the option of only downloading free resources however established authors, like myself, spend many hours making high quality resources that would simply not be available if we did not charge for them.

There is a new "Schools Hub" coming soon, which will mean schools can purchase resoures rather than teachers. Also I know, from the lovely reviews and emails I have received from thankful teachers, not everybody is against the idea of paying for resources and many are grateful for them knowing they are generally of a much higher quality than the free resources.

4. andorian

andorian New commenter

I think it's fine to charge a couple of quid and I certainly don't mind buying stuff; I wouldn't pay more than a fiver, though. I would like to charge for my resources, but as has been pointed out, you need to use bits and bats from elsewhere to make things attractive, and images... Copyright is a big issue. I find it really shocking when I see that members on here are charging for others' work which they have barely bothered to change.

MosaiK and penyrheol1 like this.
  5. ClassroomChemist

ClassroomChemist New commenter

My take is that no one has to pay for them. I started producing free resources years ago and recently changed to paid ones. The quality of my paid resources is significantly greater as I have taken much more time producing them. It's up to the individual teacher to decide if they want to spend money to save time or vice versa.

MosaiK, nwilkin and penyrheol1 like this.
  6. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Canva can be used for adding free or cheap to buy images to your work and not worry about copywrites of clip art. If you purchase clip art from a teacher author clip artist, you should credit them. This shouldn't be too hard for people; too bad they are using images that have copyrights. Maybe they just don't know?
    I don't like to spend much more than a few dollars on resources, but I think authors should charge for a lot of their resources. It takes a lot of time designing some of these resources! Teachers really shouldn't feel badly for charging a small amount for their hard work.

nwilkin likes this.
  7. Lead_Practitioner

Lead_Practitioner New commenter

The way I look at it the resources being sold should be top quality, that means they have taken you a long, long time to produce and really cover everything a teacher could need. This way people are buying materials that they simply don't have time to make themselves.

If people are uploading materials that have been thrown together in 10 minutes then they should question why they are trying to sell it. That doesn't really help anyone.

nwilkin likes this.
  8. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Agreed. I take me weeks to create my material. If it doesn't take me long and is one page or just a few simple pages, I don't charge for those; those are free. But I do have charges on my hard work. And I keep trying to improve upon my work so educators can get the best from me. I am always learning how to better my resources!

Lead_Practitioner likes this.