1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should TES resources be free?

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by Tigs85, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Should resources on the TES be

1. Free

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Paid

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Tigs85

Tigs85 New commenter

Hi,

I've been posting on the TES ad-hoc for a few years. I'm a lead teacher of PSHCE and find that I use TES resources to gain ideas for my own teaching. I've only recently started putting a price on them, being told that this is the fair thing to do. I'm wanting others people's views. Should there be more good quality, free resources? I spend a lot of time planning and preparing the lessons, but feel as I use other resources too, perhaps this is just me giving back to the community?

2. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

This is a tricky one. As a teacher I resent having to pay too much out of my own pocket to support my work. I am therefore reluctant to pay for resources and instead will create my own. This being said if a teacher has put the work in to produce a good resource and it saves me time it might be worth the money. The problem is that many of the resources are ripped off from other places or available on the web elsewhere for free. Some teachers are using selling others resources to cash in.

My personal opinion is that if your resources are really unique and good quality then it might be worth charging a small amount. I share my resources with colleagues for free - but they have come from years of magpie-ing other resources so it would not be right for me to sell them as I cannot be sure exactly which bits are unique. I do not ever pay for resources unless the school funds it - so I probably wouldn't look at yours unless they were cheaply priced and had good reviews.

Sorry, not fully answered you question.