1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should teachers strike over academies plan?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Should teachers strike over academies plan?

1. No, teachers are public servants and should never strike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, this is not a striking issue

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. No [other outlined below]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, just once to express discontent

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Yes, like junior doctors, on a rolling basis

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  6. Yes, for longer time than one day

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. Yes [other outlined below]

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35905064

Teachers are calling for a one-day strike as part of a campaign against plans to force every school in England to become an academy.

The National Union of Teachers says there is no evidence to show academy status will improve schools more rapidly than local authority schools.

The union's conference has backed a strike ballot for this summer term.

The Department for Education says the union was "playing politics with our children's future".

And the Education Secretary Nicky Morgan has told teachers she has no intention of backing down, warning another teachers' union, the NASUWT, that there is no "reverse gear" on the proposed reforms.

Mrs Morgan was heckled and faced shouts of "rubbish" from delegates during her speech arguing that the compulsory academy policy would raise standards.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Yes is popular. So far.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Haha... think we might need more than 2 minutes to judge things...

But I like your thinking!

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Teachers need to stop dithering and do something. No good wittering about best thing for the children on the day... What about the best thing for their futures? What, indeed, about US, too?
    We should fight for them and for ourselves. They're not mutually exclusive.

foxtail3, xandrahuk, Landofla and 2 others like this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Have a strike to coincide with Junior Doctors

xandrahuk, Landofla and cissy3 like this.
  6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

For a strike to succeed it needs everyone, for a decently inconvenient time, and at the same time.

If I was still working, I'd be prepared to strike, as I have been, and done, in the past.

(Sadly, I don't think a majority feel like this)

7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I wonder if there will be a question in this year's exam on a definition of "irony".

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:) Because playing politics is exactly what politicians like doing best, the country is just there to provide material with which to enact ideologies.

cissy3 and Geoff Thomas like this.
  9. EllisCarver

EllisCarver Established commenter

Possibly because thousands work in academies already.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If called upon to do so. Yes.

Sadly the unions are increasingly reluctant to call upon members to do so. It's very embarrassing when the response proves to be lukewarm.

I'd strike against compulsory academy-status in a heartbeat. Exercise your right to withdraw your labour before the Tories prevent you from so doing.

11. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

YES! This is by far the most damaging change to Education I have encountered. I have gone out on strike whenever called by my union for workload/pension changes etc yet now, when the entire system is being dismantled we are not called upon? This action needs to happen and it needs to be coordinated with all the teaching & support staff unions.

12. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

That shouldn't make a difference. I'd like to think that those working in academies can recognise that academisation may not meet the needs of every school and removing the choice is just forced privatisation.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I work in an academy... does that mean I'm automatically supposed to support them?

bonkers 704 likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's not that people working in academies will necessarily support them but it may be easier for management to get rid of staff they deem troublemakers.

ilovesooty and cissy3 like this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

And that's why it wouldn't work, unless it's everybody.

(I'm Spartacus etc :))

I know what it's like to be out of favour with management, and it's not pleasant (to say the least) and what rubs salt into the wounds, is when colleagues agree with you in private, but stand by and do nothing in public.
    (As Grumpy has already alluded to)

But this is such a huge step.as Cally says, I'd like to hope that teachers could take the plunge en masse (as did the docs)

poltergeist, xandrahuk and ilovesooty like this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, because academies are a threat to so many other important things about education. For once it's not just about teachers' pay ad conditions and there is actually a chance to get parents behind action and see a strike as supporting their children instead of letting them down.

bonkers 704, xandrahuk, InkyP and 4 others like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's the key thing... the teachers have to get their message across ... on traditional media, in print media and on social media... too often the government spin is swallowed down like sweet honey medicine.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You should be using that Mumsnet thing. On the media it looks like opposition is coming from unions and Jeremy Corbyn. You need to make mainstream media see it as a grassroots movement.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

If this isn't a reason for teachers to stand together nothing is. Sadly I think it's unlikely to engage enough unified action.

xandrahuk and Mangleworzle like this.
  20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And a one day strike is a mere gesture and will only antagonise the public. @Flere-Imsaho is right.

cissy3 likes this.