1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should secondary schools start at 10am to help tired teenagers?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Yes they take them to childminders or (talking about teenagers) some leave them on their own for and hour or two (mostly at the end of the school day)

2. install

install Star commenter

But this thread is about the start of the day. The argument seemingly that teenagers should get a 'sleep in' and for schools start later :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    fadeyushka_1967 likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Well assuming they're old enough to be home alone for a short while, I can see benefits in getting them to take some responsibility in getting themselves up and to school

4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I used this article to explain and debate the issue with my Year 9s in tutor time. https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/explainer-teenage-body-clock

Exposure to blue light seems to be the key - good in the morning, bad in the evening. But most teens don't see daylight in the morning and watch blue-light emitting screens (TV, phone etc) in the evening.

This also explains why I never had body-clock issues as a teen - a half-hour walk with my dog every morning before school to get lots of blue light, and a couple of hours piano practice every night meant I never had time to watch rubbish on TV.

There is probably more than one solution to this issue.

5. install

install Star commenter

A very very naive response in my opinion..'Assuming' is a dangerous word for some teenagers. And if their parents don't care and are not around to see their 13 yr olds and 14 yr olds - then trouble may brew in my opinion. :rolleyes:

6. install

install Star commenter

That is useful and a wiser piece of thinking in my opinion. I have found teenagers work well in certain lights in the day. :)

7. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Who said anything about merely letting them sleep in?? Why do you always get people that want to take a nuanced argument and boil it down to ridiculous soundbites?

The research says teens body clocks makes them unproductive in mornings. Exposure to different types of light, etc, helps the situation - but it isn't about phones and TV, the issue existed long before they were commonplace.

You can uphold the status quo and force teens into lessons at a time that is bad for their biology, but all you're doing is reducing the efficacy of those lessons. Get teens to do other things between 8 and 10 (on school premises), with formal learning starting later. For many, their commute times are reduced to hell because of the numbers trapped by the demands of the school run. For all those whining about the disruption a change to school hours would be - it's only disruptive to those for whom the current hours work; and that is an increasingly small pool of people.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I found that if I removed half of the light tubes from my classroom they were more subdued.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It isn't doing it any longer, not if you are thinking of the one that got all the publicity about 10 years ago. That was Monkseaton High School in North Tyneside. It described it as a 'trial' and dropped it after a couple of years. I don't know why.

A number of the schools reported in the media as having introduced later starts seem to have dropped it after a few years but it's hard to find any explanation why.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Teenagers coming home from school and being on their own until parents get home is pretty much the norm when both parents work, I'd have thought. But if I'd gone to work leaving my teenage children to slumber on the chances of them getting up on their own on time for a 10am start wouldn't have been great.

fadeyushka_1967 and strawbs like this.
  11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

They have to learn to get up by themselves at some point!

12. miss_singmarbles

miss_singmarbles New commenter

I really hope you are joking, and if you're not I hope you aren't actually a teacher. The "snowflake generation" label is incredibly patronising, disparaging and in the case of this article, totally missing the point. It's not the kids that are asking for this, it's a proposal based on scientific evidence.

13. install

install Star commenter

Arr..that is where you miss the point. Had you read the article in full,.you would not have missed the survey that shows delaying the school day will still not be enough..:rolleyes:

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've been in a school that tried this and it was a disaster

punctuality plummeted and absentee rates soared, as teens attempted to organise themselves in the mornings after parents had already gone to work.

sports participation plummeted, as teens finished school so much later, and couldn't make it to early evening sports clubs in time. All other types of clubs, ditto. eg scouts, cadets, choirs, amdrams etc

family relationships suffered as teens started to miss out on the regular early morning contact with younger siblings, no longer having breakfast with them, or travelling together

Staff resigned by the score, being unable to get child care to cover the new school hours.

It was supposed to be a one year trial, but was abandoned after 6 months

15. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Yeah, it can only work if the rest of the world shifts to adapt. Like almost any discussion of what needs to be done in education, the conversation quickly arrives at a destination of rip-it-up-and-start-over. Too bad that's unfeasible

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I presume that the benefits claimed by the studies are to do with academic results. School should not just be about obtaining higher and higher academic results. It should also be about inculcating good living habits. To my mind it is unfortunate that a teenager's body clock is slightly different than an adult ( proven undeniably? ), but they still need to learn how to participate, along with the rest of us, in the everyday world. If it is difficult to get up at the same time as every body else then they need to learn how to do it.

And I would like to know how many of the petition signers were teenagers with their tongues in their cheeks.

mistermanager and Catgirl1964 like this.