1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should seasons be capitalised?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I never have (based on a very old grammar book and what I was taught) but my TA is adamant that they should be.
    Am I wrong, badly-educated or have things changed!?
    ?

2. I never have (based on a very old grammar book and what I was taught) but my TA is adamant that they should be.
    Am I wrong, badly-educated or have things changed!?
    ?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. marlin

5. Thank you , yes. It was one of those moments in the middle of a lesson when she pointed out an error on something I was sharing whole class and was absolutely so convinced I began to doubt myself!!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Individual months need capitals, January, December etc. but seasons, spring, autumn etc don't.
    Don't worry we all have occasions when we doubt ourselves and need to check something.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I always use a capital for seasons. They're proper nouns surely?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think they might come under collective nouns as they cover a number of months together. However if you talk about the icy breath of Winter, almost personifying it then yes it is a name and a proper noun.

9. Yes, capitalised as part of names or when personify but not generally.

10. marlin

Months of the year are proper nouns and require capitals, but the seasons are common nouns.
    We are going away in July.
    We are going away in the summer.
    From Wiki: In English, proper nouns are not normally preceded by an article or other limiting modifier (such as any or some).

11. See? Confusion all round, which is why I was thrown. I'll look it up in my enormous Oxford English Dictionary which my grandfather left me (two volumes, massive, including a magnifying glass)!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, they're not.

13. Just check any English grammar book, seasons are not on the list of words that need capitals. If in doubt about English grammar just check English as a Foreign Language sites.