1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should schools teach agriculture to stop rise of 'vegan vigilantes'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 20, 2019.

1. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

That's because most vegans ARE malnourished. Humans are omnivores, we are evolved to eat meat. The biggest nutrient deficiencies in vegans are lack of essential amino acids that only eating meat (or balancing all protein sources constantly to ensure all essential amino acids are being met) can provide, as well as low levels of fat, minerals and crucial coenzymes. These can usually only be met with supplementation.

We should definitely be reducing meat consumption, but until an effective replacement is found (insect farming or lab based culture probably), we will always need some in the diet.

Ivartheboneless and BelleDuJour like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They don't have the florid look that comes from high blood pressure or the filled out look that comes from animal fat?

coffeekid likes this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Me too -

But I am going more veggie. Back when we were hunters, we kept the animal population down and acted as a natural check on the damage they did to the environment. By intensive farming, we're doing the opposite.

If things were as they were a millennium ago - when if you wanted any meat other than a pig or a chicken you had to go club it to death, and there was a good chance that it would club you to death in the process - things were much better.

I think animal meat will soon be like human flesh is today - only the very rich get to eat it :-(

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It does seem to be going that way but I can always bag a rabbit or wood pigeon or similar;)

1 person likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Isn't global meat consumption increasing?

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Probably in line with population increases.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It was the "merely" word that got to me, whether they rent or own the land they are all farmers.

nomad likes this.
  8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Agricultural Science was taught at O Level.

nomad and lexus300 like this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

As I said earlier....yes, it was.
    And when I began teaching in the 1990s a number of schools had their own little farms. All gone now.

border_walker likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought you were saying something about land ownership (I was, different topic), I understand now.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not all of them. https://www.highwealdacademy.kent.sch.uk/our-story

https://www.highwealdacademy.kent.sch.uk/farm

"We are one of only a few schools that still have a farm, and ours is one of the highest performing school farms in the county. It is run largely on a commercial basis and the dairy and beef cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens are not kept as pets, but are a source of profit when they go to market. The academy students work with the Farm Manager to run the farm. This unique setting helps them to develop their qualities of commitment, endeavour, confidence, care and leadership; to name just a few. We also use this brilliant resource to support learning right across the curriculum, from Science and Geography, to English and Environmental Studies.

Any student with a pair of wellington boots is welcome to join in and gain a unique opportunity to work closely with animals and members of the public."

border_walker likes this.
  12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What a lovely school!

Duke of York likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The only contact most kids have with animals is as pets. You can see why some kids get upset.

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

No problem.:)

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's a valid idea and one which has the potential of engaging students more suited to a vocational curriculum than an academic one, but which MAT is he thinking of that would offer an agriculture course worth doing, when they can't even be interested in treating design and technology seriously?

The best he could hope for is that a kindly MAT CEO would allow kids to water the window box outside his office, so he could back on the cost of the gardening contract.

ajrowing likes this.
  16. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

When I see peasants I drive more aggressively.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Bad boy!;)
    I noticed a strange thing, I got a like for my previous and connected post by an anonymous person? Why anonymity ? That question is for TES BTW.

18. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Did you mean pheasants?

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The National Curriculum killed off Rural Studies as it was. The first teaching job I had in 1989 was as a teacher of "Environmental Science" in a rural school where it had been decided to keep all the equipment and integrate the rural/agricultural aspects into the science curriculum for the whole school. Most schools (and it was very widely taught) just got rid.

It was great, we had chickens, pigs and rabbits and a large area of land with a plastic tunnel and a big conservatory attached to the side of a school building, even a dedicated technician to run it all. 6th form CPVE (if I remember my acronyms correctly) students bought, raised and otherwise dealt with the pigs as a mini-business, weighing the pigs each week occupied a lesson for year 8's on rotation. The technician used to have kids in at school lunchtime (her working time) to help with lots of the work to be done. We raised and sold various plants, hanging baskets and other stuff. It was particularly successful with some of the less academic pupils and also very useful for A level biology projects at the other end of the spectrum.

I taught there for 4 years, there was lots of scope at the time with agricultural modules in ks4 too. As time went on, the curriculum became more and more prescriptive and with fewer opportunities to include the rural/agricultural aspects. I've just looked at the school website and there's now no mention whatsoever of this aspect of the school, though the MAT it now belongs to does have a long and uninteresting page about marking.

20. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I stand by my first answer....:)

lexus300 likes this.