1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should schools teach agriculture to stop rise of 'vegan vigilantes'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 20, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Countryfile presenter Adam Henson has expressed anger over the online intimidation increasingly dished out by militant vegans as he called for agriculture to be taught at GCSE level.

Mr Henson, who owns a 1,600-acre working farm in the Cotswolds, believes people need to "make informed choices" around food.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ter-calls-agriculture-taught-gcses-stop-rise/

Start at Key Stage 1, I say!

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I like meat. Bacon, pork, lamb, beef, chicken, venison, turkey, pheasant, are all some of the things I can't afford.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Shouldn't veganism be taught as a 'difference', the same as we teach about Islam, homosexuality and so on?
    It's not different for everyone.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I hate Countryfile . People need to make informed choices about most things in life.I am not a meat eater but I object to the call for schools ( again ) and a ‘ qualification ‘ ( who knew !? ) to address his ‘concerns ‘ . Better he get back to his farming and no doubt fairly lucrative TV appearances

hplovegame48 likes this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We have incisors and canine (eye teeth) for tearing at meat. Still got mine and they are used regularly:)

[​IMG]

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Vegan Vigilantes - they are all nuts.

nomad, BelleDuJour and lexus300 like this.
  7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'm not sure how teaching "agriculture" would stop the rise of veganism. Although I'm a meat eater, I can't think of any logical argument against veganism - what "informed choices" do people need to be made aware of?

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My sister was a vegan for a few years - she actually found it really hard and she went back to being a vegetarian again.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A woman in the pub said she thought she recognosed me from the vegan group. I had to tell her I'd never seen herbivore.

colpee, sabram86, lardylady and 7 others like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

lilachardy likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Have to confess - we don't eat much meat these days.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, same here. Pretty much stopped completely.

Not drinking milk either. Trying plant-based milks and really enjoying them. Cheese is the difficult one to give up.

hplovegame48 and minnie me like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

One more thing to polish a halo over.

nomad likes this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The real problem is population growth all the rest is scaremongering blather.

Pageant, nomad and border_walker like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

From what I understand, as an occasional viewer of Countryfile, Henson does not own the farm but is merely a tenant farmer, as many still are. The farm is mixed produce with wheat production being significant. I think the animals are a minor part. People should know what they are eating and where it comes from, whatever diet is preferred.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Merely?
    He is a Farmer full stop.

nomad and border_walker like this.
  17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agriculture used to be taught and not so many years ago.
    I agree we should teach where our food comes from, good nutrition and proper cookery, as opposed to 'Food Tech' where you design a ready meal.
    BTW I've never known a healthy looking vegan. They all look pallid and malnourished to me.

lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  18. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

It has been done. The pros/cons of "organic" farming, for instance, made a brief appearance in the last-but-one (or two?) version of the GCSE Core Science spec. I enjoyed teaching it, but have to confess a personal interest.

Everything taught in Science lessons seems to go into a little compartment in the pupils' brains called "Stuff I Have To Learn For The Exam", never to be applied thereafter. So probably not the answer.

Of course there are huge concerns about many aspects of intensive food production. Don't get me started on palm oil plantations. It's a big leap to assume that veganism is the answer, especially for those privileged consumers who have access to exotic imported foodstuffs. That's just a lifestyle choice.

The whole world knows that...
    Rich People Eat Meat
    and
    Poor People Eat Vegetables

...and poor people aspire to do what rich people do.

19. Ivartheboneless

I do not understand your problem, I was contradicting the quoted article. What is wrong with him being a farmer? Without farming we will starve, or be eating US produce at inflated prices loaded with chemicals not approved over here.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Belle, the subject has changed, yet again, now it's called something like Food Prep and Nutrition. Just what I trained to teach, alas I retired before it came back. However alternative diets are taught, so veganism is included and why people choose. Also included are diets for diabetics, coeliacs, babies and toddlers, ill people, religious reasons for not including items.
    Re Vegans, 2 Tessers I know are vegan and always look very healthy!

colpee likes this.