1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should Schools serve any other purpose?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bali10, Jul 27, 2011.

1. I am doing a study on the National Curriculum and a question I am posed with is "should schools serve any other purpose apart from those outlined in the National Curriculum?" ....happy to share views with people and gain some insight into what other teachers think? Thanks for your time.

2. I am doing a study on the National Curriculum and a question I am posed with is "should schools serve any other purpose apart from those outlined in the National Curriculum?" ....happy to share views with people and gain some insight into what other teachers think? Thanks for your time.

3. Yes but these should not be made statutory or subject to inspection. For example, Every Child Matters outline objectives that every school strives for. But by making them a legal requirement didn't make the achievement of these aims rise, it just created masses of paperwork, bureaucracy, advisors, courses, etc.

Here is a good blog posting on the subject: http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/more-about-the-bad-ideas-for-the-aim-of-education/

4. Thanks very much that's extremely helpful, appreciate it!

5. I'm not sure what you mean by purposes other than the national curriculum. Are you asking about whether schools should only teach/educate based on what is set out in the curriculum? If so, my thoughts would be that the school should make sure it educates based on the national curriculum and that it does so well (coverage, standards, etc) however, one cannot have a tick-sheet for life and ticking off the NC is just the beginning. There is far, far more to education that what is in the NC.

6. What do you mean by "teaching creatively"?