1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should schools lobby government to cover the transport costs on school trips?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by shhh2000, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Hope you don't mind me posting on this forum but I write from a school trip venue.
    We are seeing a massive drop in bookings simply because the cost of transport to us is prohibitively expensive.
    Who else thinks it is a scandal that, despite Michael Gove, urging schools to undertake more school trips, you can't book the trips you want because you can't afford the high coach costs?
    What can be done - a petition on the e-petition website? I will set one up if others will support me.
    Let me know.
    Louise

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why should the tax payer support school trips? I agree that transport is expensive. A day's coach hire comes in at around £8 per seat. Perhaps as a venue you should look to see what you can do. Is there a station close by and then you could organise a minibus shuttle?

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

There are plenty of other things schools can't afford.
    Our local theatre, offering a schools deal, includes the transport in the deal. It presumbly still costs, but possibly they get a better price because they're booking a couple of weeks rather than one trip.
    Some museums send staff and artefacts out to the schools: cheaper than transporting the children. It may even pick you up more school holiday trade, as they have their appetites whetted without having been. If you have an admission charge, give a voucher as part of the deal.