1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should schools follow the Daily Telegraph example?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 15, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/telegraph-workplace-sensors#.plLWzKq6P

The Daily Telegraph has installed devices to monitor whether journalists are at their desks, BuzzFeed News has learned.

The newspaper confirmed the move in an email to staff after multiple employees said they came into work on Monday morning to find small plastic monitoring boxes attached to their desks.

Journalists were baffled by the unannounced appearance of the boxes. Staff resorted to googling the brand name and discovered they were wireless motion detectors produced by a company called OccupEye that monitor whether individuals are using their desks.

OccupEye’s website says it provides “automated workspace utilisation analysis” using sensors that “are triggered by both motion and heat”. This allows management access to a system that is “ultra-sensitive, yet ultra-reliable when it comes to tracking real-time 1:1 space utilisation”.

“Quite simply, if a space is used, your OccupEye sensors will record it and you are guaranteed to know about it,” the website states.

It appears hacks do not like being tracked and monitored...

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Too many long breaks in the company of that famous journalist Lunchtime O'Booze, eh?

lanokia likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It encourages presenteeism. It's hardly going to guarantee that they work or that they produce work to a high standard.

As for schools? Everyone here seems to claim they're in school from 07:30 until they get kicked out by the caretaker so I don't think bosses will be worrying much about teachers bunking off early.

But there again - just being on the premises doesn't make you good at the job.

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in one school where you had to log in & out each day... For H &S reasons, they said.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In spite of the blurb such devices are relatively easy to fool.
    It might be cheaper to get the bosses to get out of their seats and just look around.....
    A bit like schools then?

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If Private Eye is correct... the DT has some troubles in the back room offices... unhappiness.

Seems the management style is part of the problem.

I'm sure teachers can sympathise there!

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

That's nothing! During my uni days, I used to temp at an office in London during the summer. There was a card entry system on ALL the doors from reception onwards, including the toilet and the lift, so you couldn't even say you were popping to the loo and nip out for a cheeky fag without being found out. They could tell how long you spent in the loo, if you went straight back to your desk afterwards, how many cups of tea you had etc. It wasn't actually a bad job, but I think that's only because our managers didn't really care if we took a couple of brain breaks during the day. Under different management, it could have been truly awful.

ScotSEN likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, there's nothing more morale-boosting than having your employer distrust you to the extent they spy on you.

ScotSEN likes this.
  9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Those devices were removed very swiftly after protests from staff. within 24 hours, i read.

ScotSEN likes this.
  10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Slap one of those heat packs on it. Then it will be permanently confused. Or drill a small hole in it and inject it with a suitable fluid.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Or just stick a hamster on a wheel in front of it.

racroesus likes this.
  12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter