1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should renumeration include family health insurance?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 4penguin14, Feb 11, 2020.

1. 4penguin14

4penguin14 New commenter

Hi I have read many threads about salary/packages and most say that health insurance and flights should be included?
    I have been offered a job in Dubai at a really good school but the package only includes flights there for myself, health insurance for myself, visa for myself and an annual flight for myself- not for my husband and two children.
    Is it reasonable to request my family are included or is this the norm these days? The salary is under 13000 aed a month so I was hoping these things would be part of the package as it’s not cheap to live there. My eldest will be going to school there as part of the package.
    Just wanted advice really as to whether schools are willing to negotiate or its take it or leave it!
    Thanks

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I would expect family flights and health insurance in there if it were me. But I haven't worked in Dubai so don't know the norm

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Not that i want to burst your bubble here, but what you have described is definitely NOT a "really good school"....in fact i was say it is very far from it. Any half decent school would provide all of this for you and everyone in your family, let alone a really good school.

afterdark and mermy like this.
  4. 4penguin14

4penguin14 New commenter

Thank you for your reply, I thought this too.

5. 4penguin14

4penguin14 New commenter

Yes I am quite shocked by the package offered as it does come up as one of the top schools (after the not for profits!)
    Thank you for replying, I do agree with you.

6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

That package is actually quite poor. Think about how much medical insurance and annual flights will cost for your family - that will cut a fairly large chunk is what is already a fairly substandard salary for what you have described as a "really good school"

7. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

That’s shocking!

I was earning 15500/month with family benefits in AD in 2009!

8. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

Unless your husband is going to be working, things will be tight on that package. Dubai is an expensive place to live, and paying for 3 flights and health insurance would make it very hard to save.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would not be going anywhere that didnt fully cover my family, especially if i had kids. This is a really really bad offer.

Just think how much it would cost you if anything even slighty serious happened. It could be well in the $10 000's if not $100 000's.

This is nowhere near a decent school.

10. steluta

steluta New commenter

Left the UAE 7 years ago. Experienced class teachers made 17k AED per month, plus housing, health insurance and flights. I don’t think that you can live well on that package if you pay insurance and flights for the family. Any decent school would cover these as a starter. How many school places have they offered? I would LEAVE IT 100%.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  11. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Well quite. As further illustrated by this:
    Really ? Where ?

12. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

It is clearly a really bad school so negotiating would be a complete waste of time and energy. You will be lied to (and already have been) every step of the way. Decline the offer and look elsewhere. Let someone without dependents make the mistake of the taking the job and let them put it down to experience.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Welcome to the real world of profits combined with supply and demand. The vast majority of international schools are designed to make large profits for owners and investors, this is best done by reducing labour costs. Combine this with a large labour market eager to work in the UAE, increase the pool of workers driving down salaries as a result. Also dump a large quantity of PGCEi unqualified teachers desperate to gain employment in the UAE, you end up with financial packages getting lower and lower.

In the good old days teachers with PGCE/QTS/NQT/BEd got paid a premium for our qualifications and experience now we get the same financial offers as unskilled childcare providers.

What did people think would happen when hundreds of PGCEi unqualified teachers hit the employment market and willing to accept half my salary for the same job.

towncryer likes this.
  14. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Absolutely no two ways about it. Never work anywhere that does not include excellent medical insurance for your family and loved ones. If a school does not protect those who work for it then it isn't worth the name, and certainly not worth working for. I once worked at a school in Bangkok where a fellow teacher got very, very, ill. It was only then that we all found out that the insurance was dreadful. We ended up having to donate to keep him being medicated. Most of the staff then left withing a year.....not sure if they have upped their insurance but, probably not.

Caveat Emptor

Perce

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I must agree with percy topliss.

Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband discovered that "health insurance" can be a rather flexible expression in the UAE. It might not mean what you think it means. At your interview, the principal might perhaps make some vague comments about "comprehensive" cover, but then you find out that this is not covered, that is not covered and neither is the other thing.

16. 4penguin14

4penguin14 New commenter

Thank you for your comments everyone, has been very helpful!

17. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just remember the school will find some mug to take the job, thats why they can offer a s h i t package.

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I agree with all of the above. And it's 'remuneration' not 'renumeration'. These things matter in an application.

Powergnome3 and percy topliss like this.
  19. citruspers

citruspers New commenter

Does most health insurance include maternity cover?

20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Agree with all of the above - don't take it!