1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should pupils be using ICT for writing more frequently?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by stuartrgdyer, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Adults invariably choose to word process their written work yet pupils in my year 6 class are only allowed to type their work about once a fortnight. Wouldn't a frequent use of word processing be more relevant and better practice for the future?

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

In theory, yes. But I'd say there are (at least) two arguments against:
    1. Motor skills. While typing does help develop some motor skills and does need practice, I do wonder if hand-writing, although increasingly out of fashion, is something students shoul be better at as it feeds into many more disciplines and skills compared to typing. I also wonder about the quality of typing teaching in some schools.
    2. Spelling. Word processing encourages a degree of laziness. Students, particularly the weaker ones, just assume what the spell checker tells them is correct ("Pitchers" when they want "Pictures" for example). I'd much rather students actually learn how to spell things and recognise that words are wrong without electronic interference.
    (You could possible also argue about the length of time spent in front of screens, too)

3. They have to hand write lengthy essays/answers in exam conditions. They should certainly be used to extended periods of written work.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

balance is all, they should have ample opportunity for both.