1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Should primary schools stop 10 yr olds walking to school with mobiles?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kjh498, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kjh498

kjh498 New commenter

A local primary school I know of has “children Are not allowed to bring mobiles into school under any circumstances “ in their very short policy on mobile phones.

Is this right that 10/11 year olds in yr 6 can’t have a phone on them for to and from school?

Surely there should be a sentence suggesting in special circumstances phones are allowed. E.g child with Sen, child with carers responsibilities?

Is there a duty of care required?
    All our local secondary schools allow phones.

I’m not talking about those kids who abuse this by getting them out in class.

2. kjh498

kjh498 New commenter

Also I’m thinking of the kids that walk to school.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It is a perfectly acceptable policy. Children do not need mobile phones.

nomad, Pomza, pepper5 and 5 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Access to a mobile seems a jolly good idea to me.

My grandson is in YR6. I assume he's always taken and collected but, if he lived a bit nearer, I don't see why he couldn't get himself to school.

I can also see that it might be useful if he were to pick up his mobile (he doesn't actually have one yet but...) from the office and receive a text or voicemail to tell him to just wait at the corner until 3:30 when mum or dad would pick him up to go straight to the supermarket.

In short - if the parent wants them to have a mobile? They should have a mobile. But not in lessons. It's perfectly manageable. Lots of schools do it.

agathamorse, tall tales and kjh498 like this.
  5. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

We have a system of hand in and collect that works fine. However,I think I am right that in the past having a mobile phone in our city has made children targets for mugging on the way home, so ironically having a phone actually reduced their safety.

agathamorse, pepper5, blazer and 3 others like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

Which is why the school sends a note home and puts it on the website.

"If you feel happier knowing your YR6 child has a mobile on their way to and from school then be assured that we shall ask them to hand in the 'phone on arrival and we will keep it safe for them until it's time to leave at 15:15. They won't have access to it at lunchtime or breaks.

The only other thing to note is that there have been reports that children have been mugged after school and had their 'phones stolen in some areas so you may wish to tell them not to walk round making it obvious that they are carrying a mobile. Check the 'phone before leaving school premises and certainly don't wander round using it for gaming as that will also make them less attentive to traffic and other hazards."

agathamorse, phlogiston and kjh498 like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Ask yourself, if a child best not use a mobile phone on their way to and from school, nor is allowed it when at school, then what is the point of them possessing a mobile phone at all. There is no point, obviously.

There is no need for children to possess mobile phones. Previous generations grew up perfectly well without them.

nomad, Pomza, pepper5 and 5 others like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

It's not up to the school what the children do whilst they are walking to school. It is up to school to deal with the phones when the child arrives.

Another case of the education system trying to be parents.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is up to the school what the rules are when a child is on the premises; parents are in charge outside the school gates. It is not up to the school to take responsibility for phones during the school day. As a teacher, I would not want to take responsibility for 30 phones every day, and I doubt if there is capacity in the school office.

Pomza, pepper5, lardylady and 3 others like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree, but the policy quoted by OP doesn't say anything about what children can have walking to school. Only that the cannot have mobile phones in school. As OP says the consequence is that if a child walks to school alone they cannot have a mobile, but the school isn't making a rule about that. Presumably the school would have a procedure for what to do if a child arrives with a mobile, surely they must? They wouldn't just refuse the child entry to the premises.

11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Yep, mugging, bullying, filming it for social media. No need for mobile phones.
    What really always annoyed me was there was always some 'deprived' kid who had to have their phone on the desk in case they had an important phone call. Usually from their social worker or such like. One girl didn't like living with her grandparents (no reason) and requested a flat. This would make her feel happier. Of course, social services bent over backwards for her and the phone had to available throughout the lesson in case social services rang. Including mock exams!! Of course, all other teachers allowed her to do so. Therefore, I couldn't object.
    I would have been laughed at if I had requested such a thing when I was 17. I would have been told to get off my ++++ and earn some money if I wanted a flat. Likewise, I survived my schooldays and a large amount of my adulthood without a mobile phone. I'm still here to tell the tale.
    if we had 'an urgent phone call' the parent or whoever rang the school office and we would take it there.
    As for 'handing it in' it's a huge responsibility for the school if a phone gets lost or damaged.

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

I would say that the policy is badly worded, and imagine the intention is to discourage pupils bringing mobile phones into school. However, where there is a genuine need the school is likely to accommodate it (with the phone being handed into the office at the start of the day). This being an exception rather than the norm.

install and pepper5 like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

You want to put parents off where possible but not ban them. I can see why they might be absolutely essential for some children/parents/families.

install and Mermaid7 like this.
  14. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Hand in!!!! Hasn't everyone got enough to do without worrying about looking after upwards of £20, 000 worth of electronic goods! Per class!
    Phones are here to stay. Not used or even seen at school is good enough. Brought at own risk.
    My daughter didn't have one until secondary school and she survived.

pepper5 and Piranha like this.
  15. kjh498

kjh498 New commenter

No, the school will not allow any child to hand a phone into the office b4 school nor will they put an arrangement in place for special circumstances

pepper5 likes this.
  16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I assume it would have to follow whatever procedure is in place for breaching school rules. Perhaps first offence, warning and phone looked after for the day. Second time might be a detention etc. My school at one time had a rule that if a phone got produced during the school day, it was kept in the school office until a parent or guardian came in to collect it.

Yes. One break in and the school is bust. Or insurance premiums got through the roof if the school attempts to cover itself that way. And think of the chaos as 100+ kids attempt to hand in their phones first thing in the morning and collect them in the afternoon.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O fgs, it's a phone, not an artery.

yodaami2 and nomad like this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm struggling to think of a 'special circumstance' that cannot be covered by a phone call to the school office.

agathamorse, blazer, nomad and 4 others like this.
  19. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

What happened to all those children ,who were on the O2 network earlier in the week. Lots of distressed pupils and parents because they could not use their mobile phones.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

How do you know? What have they done when a child has turned up on their own with a mobile phone?

pepper5 likes this.